SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use brass punches made by Grace?

Lone Rider SASS#32091

Does anyone use these? I need to drift a sight on a 92 Rossi. They have a 4 pin starter set that would probably be all I need. I am looking at something made in the USA and these came up. I haven’t found any brick& mortar stores that carry them and the shipping is about a third of the cost but that seems to be way it is now days.  Any other suggestions?

If all you are looking for is a brass drift go to the hobby store and buy a 12" section of brass rod.  Cut off about 3" and when that gets mangled cut off another three inches.

You could just make a brass drift.... Like Larson sez......

That's what I did about 40 years ago.

I took a 3/8" brass bolt over to the bench grinder and had myself a nice little Brass Drift in about 2 minutes

It still works as well now as it did back then.

A little off the subject, but the very small diameter punches in the sets bend so easily, they're worthless when driving out the various small pins. I use a C & I titanium firing pin for this, & it works like a champ. Sorry for the slight tangent, but thought this might help someone at the right time.

I usually grab one of my brass bars that I got from the local hardware store (3/8" or 1/2" usually work well).   Rarely need one longer than about 6 inches.

Very cheap, and I don't care what it looks like or where it was manufactured.  If I bend it, "oh well, scrap box for you, buddy."

Hundred dollar sight pushers?  Haven't needed one yet.

good luck, GJ

11 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If all you are looking for is a brass drift go to the hobby store and buy a 12" section of brass rod.  Cut off about 3" and when that gets mangled cut off another three inches.

I use that or a delrin rod. 

23 hours ago, Max Payne said:

A little off the subject, but the very small diameter punches in the sets bend so easily, they're worthless when driving out the various small pins. I use a C & I titanium firing pin for this, & it works like a champ. Sorry for the slight tangent, but thought this might help someone at the right time.

The small Grace drifts right out of the packaging are in fact pretty worthless.   But Brass and bronze can be work hardened.  I have gotten a little (emphasize "little) better service out of them by taking the next size up and tapping it with a hammer against an anvil, reducing its diameter.  But it still isn't usually strong enough to resist bending --- or breaking off, if you tap it too much and make it brittle.  And it will readily scratch gun bluing in that work hardened condition. 

I have pressed sights nearly into place in the past, using the tip of a wooden cabinet-maker's clamp, then tapped them over with a large block of phosphor bronze.  It worked about as well as any of the commercial sight presses I've seen or tried. 

The thing I like about the Wyoming sight punch is that it will work even if you don't have a vice to clamp the firearm in.

I have used it on the range several times supporting the firearm with a sand bag.

Yes it is pricey at $40.00, but it does work really well. Especially on really stubborn sights.

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yes it is pricey at $40.00, but it does work really well. Especially on really stubborn sights.

$40 isn't that bad if it does the job.

Archived