SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 issue

My wifes Marlin has an occasional issue when loading. If you let the loading gate pop up while pushing a round in that round will move back under the loading gate not allowing you to put another round in. If you dig hard enough with a screw knife you can get the round to move forward enough to add another round. It could be the 4th or 8th or higher round you're trying to load. I have shortened the magazine spring. Any tips would be appreciated. 

I agree with Warden.

If that doesn't work, take the rifle apart and see if your loading gate is 'flat' on the back side.

If you have an older Marlin (like 20+ years older) its possible to have a flat loading gate.

If its flat, then I will share more info to help fix.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I agree with Warden.

If that doesn't work, take the rifle apart and see if your loading gate is 'flat' on the back side.

If you have an older Marlin (like 20+ years older) its possible to have a flat loading gate.

If its flat, then I will share more info to help fix.

..........Widder

It is flat on the back side, I tried holding the lever closed and that made no difference. Would one of Ranger Points replacements do the trick? I was thinking about trying one anyways to make it easier for her to load.

As a side note when I tried to remove the hammer assembly it won't come out, I removed the screw that holds it in as well as the hammer spring and it's still attached somewhere I can't see. It pivots on something. What am I missing? The original is in fact not flat, but there is a very small bump and it's worn quite badly. I got the original out .

22 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Turn the sound off. It's annoying. 

Thanks , I did watch the You Tube video by Ranger Point and followed it, I gave getting the hammer assembly a few tugs and after a few tries did get it free and out. Thanks for your input.

BOB,

Can you call me:  865 / 696-1996.

From my understanding of your problem and the loading gate, I want to make sure

I advise correctly.

As for the Ranger Point loading gate, I've never tried one, but their other products are VERY GOOD

from my experience.

Look forward to talking with you.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Deep clean the rec'r and magazine tube. Maybe take some coils off the mag spring.

Hope you're not still run'n the plastic mag follower.

Have you ck'd ALL screws for tightness? 

OLG 

Did deep clean it, a couple of times

Metal follower

Checked and rechecked screws

The loading gate looks very worn on the bottom, it has some serious marks on it, you can see where the rounds are slipping under it. I ordered a new one from Ranger Point.

3 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Did deep clean it, a couple of times

Metal follower

Checked and rechecked screws

The loading gate looks very worn on the bottom, it has some serious marks on it, you can see where the rounds are slipping under it. I ordered a new one from Ranger Point.

Reduce magazine spring tension. 

Be sure the loading gate is centered in the rec'r opening. 

OLG 

Archived