SASS Wire Forum

poor tactics for somebody wanting to be general in Duel at Diablo

Trigger Mike

Every time I watch Duel at Diablo I cringe at the tactics the Lt used while bucking for general.  They approach a canyon and spot tracks from Indian horses.  He sends a scout but then sends the entire troop through the canyon to get ambushed.  Every time I see it I ask, "why didn't he either go around or if he had to go through there, send two at a time?  "  

I still like the movie though.  The cavalry used Remingtons.  James Garner reminds me of my dad sometimes, him and Fred Flintstone.  Us kids always talked about how Fred yelled like dad and James garner looks like and acts like dad

Hopefully your mom wasn't named Wilma!

I've never seen the movie, I will keep my eye out for it.

8 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

"why didn't he either go around or if he had to go through there, send two at a time?  "  

Likely the same reason Custer split his forces, and left the Gatling guns behind.

History is full of examples of the U.S. military suffering disasters as a result of underestimating their native opponents.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Every time I watch Duel at Diablo I cringe at the tactics the Lt used while bucking for general.  They approach a canyon and spot tracks from Indian horses.  He sends a scout but then sends the entire troop through the canyon to get ambushed.  Every time I see it I ask, "why didn't he either go around or if he had to go through there, send two at a time?  "  

I still like the movie though.  The cavalry used Remingtons.  James Garner reminds me of my dad sometimes, him and Fred Flintstone.  Us kids always talked about how Fred yelled like dad and James garner looks like and acts like dad

'58 Remingtons converted to fire a cartridge were the standard issue prior to SAA being adopted in 1873- and Remington was second only behind Colt in pistols produced for the Union during the Civil War, so there was a LOT of them out there after the draw down of troops.

Archived