SASS Wire Forum

Shipping firearms

Lucky Bastard

I ship USPS priority mail. I recommend taking the stock of the 87, very easy wrap both in bubble wrap like it’s going out of style. Shake ensuring no movement. Mark outside of the box “fragile please don’t drop” does the last part work, don’t know, but it couldn’t hurt.

11 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Contact who you are shipping it to and ask them who they recommend.

What ^he said.  

Packing?  It's your gun.  Pack it how you'd want someone else to pack it.  Sturdy box with LOTS of padding.

Method?  Depends on the carrier you end up choosing.  Most will only ship firearms a certain way.  Ground, Next Day, etc. 

I have shipped several (more than 2, less than 5, but I can't remember exactly how many) shotguns for either repair or having sold them.  I used the US Postal Service each time with surprisingly good results.  The postal regulations (the last time I mailed a gun) allowed non-FFLs to ship long guns directly to FFLs in other states, & to non-FFLs within your state of residence (which surprised me).  My local postmaster pointed that out to me the first time I shipped a shotgun.  In that case it was going back to the manufacturer, so we got into a discussion about what you can & can't ship via USPS without an FFL.  Handguns are not allowed at all - non-FFLs must use UPS or FedEx.  Long guns can be shipped directly to manufacturers & repair facilities, as well as shipped directly back to you after repair.

I always insure the package for the value of the gun plus $100.  To me that is worth the extra postage.

Holler

FYI when it comes to damage USPS only pays for complete loss

432.4 Indemnity Claims

When indemnity claims pertaining to regulated firearms are filed for loss or damage to contents, claims will only be paid for complete loss under either of the following conditions:

The regulated firearm has been lost, or

When the mailer has provided reasonable estimates of the firearm’s value and of repair cost from a reputable dealer, and the repair cost exceeds the declared and/or actual value of the firearm at the time of mailing.

I went to the local UPS Customer Service Center this morning to ship 4 revolvers to Jimmy Spurs and got the usual conniption/mass confusion.  According to this clerk, UPS stopped shipping all guns and ammo earlier this year and only recently re-instated it, and with new rules.  She claimed you can only ship a single gun per box and they must only go to the manufacturer (not a gunsmith).  She pulled out a printout that looked like a powerpoint slide deck of "new rules" and opened up the box. She called their support line and after about 15 minutes trying to explain the scenario to them, she went in the back and asked a manager, who "called corporate" and apparently got it approved.  None of what she was claiming as "new rules" seemed sensible.

TLDR: I have no idea what the actual procedure is for UPS, despite it being spelled out here: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

34 minutes ago, vidette said:

I went to the local UPS Customer Service Center this morning to ship 4 revolvers to Jimmy Spurs and got the usual conniption/mass confusion.  According to this clerk, UPS stopped shipping all guns and ammo earlier this year and only recently re-instated it, and with new rules.  She claimed you can only ship a single gun per box and they must only go to the manufacturer (not a gunsmith).  She pulled out a printout that looked like a powerpoint slide deck of "new rules" and opened up the box. She called their support line and after about 15 minutes trying to explain the scenario to them, she went in the back and asked a manager, who "called corporate" and apparently got it approved.  None of what she was claiming as "new rules" seemed sensible.

TLDR: I have no idea what the actual procedure is for UPS, despite it being spelled out here: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

I will be using fedex

speaking from a bad experience. I'd put the gun in a soft case. Then wrapped and pad the hell out of the stock end and barrel end. Long boxes they tend to stand on end for space. I then stuff it with as much paper and bubble wrap to fill any voids in the box. MOre weight but but protection.

Sent a 73 and they chipped the stock where it met the curved butt plate on the bottom. Guy never found the wood piece. And tape and tape and tape. I even tape the glued joint on the box.

2 hours ago, vidette said:

I can tell you as someone that works in an organization with an 8-figure shipping bill every year...I shipped and received at least 250 firearms and an amount of ammo that only our forklift could tally via UPS in the last 12 months and almost none of what she said is true.

I am certainly not surprised any time a parcel carrier, airline, or TSA doesn't know their own policies though. I usually carry a printed copy in my gun cases when I fly, and I have to use them about 70% of the time.  

I shipped a shotgun in state. Took buttstock off. Mailed it in flat box. Guy at postal counter looked at it, held the box to his shoulder like he was shooting it and winked at me. 

for handguns, almost always better to pay FFL to ship as they can send them in USPS flat rate box far cheaper than you can ship them yourself, even after paying his fees. Jimmy Spurs can mail them directly back to you. (And you will like them, he does excellent work!) 

5 hours ago, Texas John Ringo, SASS #10138 said:

Several years back I bought a 1877 Colt Lightning .38 Long Colt made in 1886 off of Gunbroker and it was shipped USPS.

Anything antique (made prior to 1899) can go via USPS.

I recommend shipmygun which is part of Bud's. I have shipped one pistol through them. They have an agreement that waves the next-day-air requirement which lowers the cost. The label comes with a letter from someone high up at UPS outlining the agreement and has a phone number to call if needed.

I just today got the label for a long gun to ship.

If you are an FFL I recommend signing up to be a preferred FFL in their system.

If you use their system I recommend going into your computer settings and allowing shipmygun to make pop ups.

31 minutes ago, Kansas City Munny said:

I've used UPS and FedEx for both handguns and long guns. I would opt for 2nd Day Air service and insure for replacement cost of the firearm, not what you paid for it.

Handguns must go Expedited, but why pay extra for Long Guns?

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

Anything antique (made prior to 1899) can go via USPS.

Of course you know that some Contract U.S. Postal Service locations will not ship anything "Gun" without a Form 1508.

Unless you lie to them...

Which I don't recommend as you may have to issue an insurance claim.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Handguns must go Expedited, but why pay extra for Long Guns?

Some carriers have issues with 'lost packages' when it's known that firearms are contained within. The less time they're in the system, the less time there is for anything nefarious to occur. In my experience, most carriers recommend that you ship any firearm on an expedited service. 

1 hour ago, Kansas City Munny said:

Some carriers have issues with 'lost packages' when it's known that firearms are contained within. The less time they're in the system, the less time there is for anything nefarious to occur. In my experience, most carriers recommend that you ship any firearm on an expedited service. 

I've shipped hundreds of guns...have had them "lost", damaged...you name it. Never had any issue with the class of service used.

Also, depending on where you are shipping, that "expedited" shipment may never see anything but a Truck during it's shipment...so the "expedited" service will not get the gun to it's destination any quicker.

Phantom

Archived