SASS Wire Forum

Photos of your holster rigs

Buckshot Bear

Cheyenne Ranger rig on all-in-one belt for Bisley Vaqueros, built by JM Leather. Fancy Slim Jim rig for Schofields built by Yesteryear Leather.

EFF23C05-19D2-45CC-96F8-0370101EBE32.jpeg

BD9D6700-13A2-4AAA-9E32-E20945556673.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, ShadowCatcher said:

Both my rigs come from Alfonsos of Hollywood.  The first is a double Paladin rig for short Colts, in case I ever do decide to shoot that way,

the second is my favorite, a Paladin buscadero rig (sans silver chess piece) with a short Paladin cross draw holster at 12 degrees.

They are steel lined and also very comfortable to wear all day.  I also have an 8 round shotgun loop piece that wraps around the buckle in front

so hat I do not need a seperate shotgun belt, unless of course the scenario implies I might need many more.

IMG_4288-1.jpg

IMG_4290-1.jpg

Very nice.   Is it a stock item or did they make it custom...

4 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

Very nice.   Is it a stock item or did they make it custom...

The Paladin rig is stock, and the cross draw is pretty much stock as well, just required ordering them as a set.

I left out the chess piece on purpose.

The Shotgun belt loop was also a stock piece, but they need to be ordered carefully, as the belt size can vary

from 2.5" to 3" depending on how many cartridge loops and overall size. 

Talk to Omar - he's very enthusiastic and helpful!

SC

By Lunger Dan of North Carolina...poor mans self taught rigs, depending on which pistols I decide to shoot. Two on the right are newer-I dont dye, just let sun and oil do their thing

IMG_4505.JPG

For some guns, "off the rack" just isn't an option. :lol:

The loopback tab & concho between the J and BAR was to hide a mistake - the idiot doing the stamping :blush: wasn't paying close attention and stamped it with an L instead of a J. :lol: It turned out OK, but now I have to change it to Three Foot Johnson somehow...

BuntlineHolsters_01.jpg

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

For some guns, "off the rack" just isn't an option. :lol:

BuntlineHolsters_01.jpg

I am not gonna complain about drawing my 7" Schofield anymore...

Pretty worn and battered by now, but here's a rig my son, Sassparilla Kid, made for himself back about '05, when he was fourteen.... he was wanting something "Rex O'Herlihan-ish."  ^_^

Resized_20210803_155915.thumb.jpeg.72acd2fa19e80345c2cb071163023d6f.jpeg         2074276175_Holsters1.thumb.jpg.487ca4f4cea4cee0e520ea42d0b74bef.jpg

Resized_Resized_20210803_160455.jpeg.459c13c4cf0a757ef01a07a1c8186166.jpeg      

2FirstCutout.thumb.jpg.a8bee890d60032dc80af13a1370a64f8.jpg         5WorkingonStraps.jpg.86ce85b834b3a9cf8b5e49373ccbaa47.jpg         19RywithHolstersandStampedes.thumb.jpg.b06832f317b1ea63e7ba208cb1fd5b3b.jpg

Although cross draw and shoulder holsters are legal, extreme care must be exercised when drawing a firearm from a cross draw or shoulder holster or retuning the firearm to leather. The user must “twist” their body, if necessary, to
ensure the muzzle never breaks the 170° safety rule during the process.
- When drawing a revolver, the muzzle may be oriented into the straight down (180°) as it clears leather; but must then go immediately into the downrange 170° (and vice versa on the return). These restrictions against breaking the downrange 180° angle apply to all holsters and methods of draw/re-holster. This allowance applies to all types/styles of holsters, from canted double strong side to
cross draw, to shoulder/Huckleberry rigs.

SHB PAGE 3

Ammunition belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

SHB PAGE 3

20 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

oh no... so many choices and how do you know what you like.  One thing I see none of is a chest rig?  any reason?  Even shot shells on the chest??   (you can tell im real new )

Bandoleer is legal..I use one...

IMG_4147.JPG

18 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Ammunition belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.

SHB PAGE 3

So how does this rule and a Bandoleer comply??

I appreciate every ones knowledge and input!!

18 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Here’s the link to the handbooks. Shooter’s Handbook

I read it... but so new not everything makes sense...  I take it you can stand angled to the line when drawing...

1 minute ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

So how does this rule and a Bandoleer comply??

I appreciate every ones knowledge and input!!

A Bandoleer is not considered a Belt.  Bandoleer is over the shoulder, belt is around the waist, so the rule you are referencing is for a belt not a bandoleer

1 minute ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

I read it... but so new not everything makes sense...  I take it you can stand angled to the line when drawing...

Welcome to the club, a lot of shooters (even ones that have been in the game awhile) have questions about the rules from time to time

Yes and no, if using a cross draw rig the shooter will usually twist at the waist so the pistol doesn’t break the 170 rule.  If you start out angled you’d still have to twist for the strong side holster.

6 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

A Bandoleer is not considered a Belt.  Bandoleer is over the shoulder, belt is around the waist, so the rule you are referencing is for a belt not a bandoleer

How I read it!  good.  thanks

3 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

So where do I get this Bandoleer and shotshell holders like this ?????

I made this for myself...but there are leather makers who sell some that are much preferred over what I made$$

6 hours ago, Rev. Stanley Otten III Bud said:

I stand sideways,  then straighten out after I reholster the crossdraw and draw the strong side pistol.

some really nice leather on display here - i use standard galco gear and ill not waste anyones time with mine - strictly utilitarian grade stuff , ive always thought one day to get custom , just never got round to it yet 

19 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Lunger Dan I like your metal shotshell holders, did you make them?

yes, formed them from brass after seeing them in 1800s advertising for shell holders and some other examples from the period

thumbnail.jpg

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

yes, formed them from brass after seeing them in 1800s advertising for shell holders and some other examples from the period

thumbnail.jpg

You did a great job, it must have taken a minute. 

These are my other two gunbelts. The top one is very simple, just added five canvas loops to a standard gunbelt.

The canvas loops were added to belts by some Civil War soldiers to hold extra Henry cartridges.

The pouch is a reproduction of a rare Civil War pouch made by "Henry Arms" to hold Henry rifle cartridges in canvas loops. (I know, not legal for reloads but I thought it was so unusual, I had one made).

Other gunbelts.JPG

H.H. Heiser made the belt (it appears in at least the 1940 catalog).  Osage Mike repaired and restored it by re-stitching the components (the original thread had disintegrated), and Osage Mike then made these copies of the holsters also seen in that same 1940 H.H. Heiser catalog.

20210419_092218.thumb.jpg.0e894ece3bef46efabdc8e7639cc85da.jpg

Archived