SASS Wire Forum

Free spin Ruger cylinder

Irish Pat

I can’t remember how to take out the little plunder and spring that lets you reverse spin the cylinder when you have high primers or are just showing out at the loading table. I have done before but it has been a long time 

58 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well...can't remember the last time I had a pistol reload...and that's about the only reason I can see for a Free Spin.

So outta curiosity, why the desire for a Free Spin?

Phantom

Pistol reloads do come up occasionally.  Easiest way is fire one round.  Do not recock.  Open the gate and drop a round into the hole that is staring at you.  Recock and fire five.  No free spin is needed.  If you're a gunfighter, shoot DD.  Modifying the gun isn't needed.  

4 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Pistol reloads do come up occasionally.  Easiest way is fire one round.  Do not recock.  Open the gate and drop a round into the hole that is staring at you.  Recock and fire five.  No free spin is needed.  If you're a gunfighter, shoot DD.  Modifying the gun isn't needed.  

Yeah...I know how to do a Pistol Reload...I'm not exactly new to the game:rolleyes:

Just wanted to know from the original poster why they wanted a free spin.

Phantom

My OMV  have the free spin mainly so at the loading table I like to spin both ways just to make sure there are no hang ups & we do have quite a few reloads down-under, not a necessity but kinda' cool ..YMMV.

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah...I know how to do a Pistol Reload...I'm not exactly new to the game:rolleyes:

Just wanted to know from the original poster why they wanted a free spin.

Phantom

I understood your obvious experience level.    But there are a couple others here who I thought might benefit.  Hopefully it helped somebody.  

6 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I understood your obvious experience level.    But there are a couple others here who I thought might benefit.  Hopefully it helped somebody.  

I just wanted to hear from the OP...and your way doing the reload is NOT the way to do it.

But please...can ya just let the OP answer the question???

Oy...

39 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I just wanted to hear from the OP...and your way doing the reload is NOT the way to do it.

But please...can ya just let the OP answer the question???

Oy...

Thought he already gave the reasons in the OP.  Reload was not one of his reasons.  He can clarify

4 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I can’t remember how to take out the little plunder and spring that lets you reverse spin the cylinder when you have high primers or are just showing out at the loading table. I have done before but it has been a long time 

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/FreeSpin.html

42 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

High Primer have caused me to have to take my cylinder out at the loading table

I always spin my cylinder at the loading table to check for any high primers.  If I find one, it's a lot easier to get the cylinder unstuck if you can spin it both ways.  Reloading on the clock is rarely done but if you practice reloading with a free spin option, it will be faster than without one.  Besides, free spin is just cool.

I take the indexing pawl out just because I don't like the feel of the gun with it in, compared to the old models that I have shot for many years.    GW

I converted to free spin after a high primer I missed jammed the cylinder necessitating disassembly at home to get the cylinder out. I couldn't move it after the pawl clicked and not even enough to remove the cylinder with the base pin was removed. It's been years now and have never had a high primer since, but peace of mind I guess!

All this talk about high primers.  Sloppy reloading and high primers should be checked for and the rounds dumped in the salvage box before going to the range.  Problem solved.

You are absolutely correct Larsen, but occasionally I guess one gets missed. Mine was barley noticeable, but sure locked up the cylinder once it went over that edge on the recoil shield! Although it may have been worse before I tried turning the cylinder. I used to, before the high one just hold a box up to the light and look across them. Since then I now run a finger across them in the box and find one in a thousand very easy with the finger rub method. Is there any detriment to having free spin? If not it's relatively easy on NMV, but as stated above it doesn't work on all of them.

"Thanks"  Larsen for all your input on the wire, your experience and knowledge are quite valuable to many of us.

11 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I take the indexing pawl out just because I don't like the feel of the gun with it in, compared to the old models that I have shot for many years.    GW

Awwww GW are you still funnin us. Good to see your still kicking after alllllll these years:blink::D

MB      Just not kicking as high        GW

49 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Ok once you drop the little screw into the action of your Ruger how do you get it out?

You pull the grip frame off and start removing the trigger and hammer. It'll fall out eventually. Here's a video for complete disassembly/reassembly. 

34 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Who is the girl in the mirror in the green cap? I can’t concentrate on the Ruger

I bet she is way more dangerous than the pistol. 

I for one have had high primers in factory ammo, before and after I started reloading, so it isn't only a reload situation that you have to deal with.  I remember when helpful suggestions were given without belittling, oh for those days.

I recommend that everyone take out the little plunger and then test how well the cylinder cycles.  I find about 1/2 of the guns (even New models) have a "click-click" as they cycle because the pawl is slightly rubbing. 

No need for that extra friction, even if you do NOT wish to make it free spin.

So you remove just a little off the pawl as shown and you it should totally free spin.

Then you can reinstall the spring plunger if you wish.

I prefer Linebaugh's method. Drill and tap under the pawl on the recoil shield and install a setscrew. Adjust until pawl no longer touches the cylinder.

Archived