SASS Wire Forum

Way OT WW II German Machine Gun

OK, I know the first thing that popped into most of ya'lls minds was MG-42 or MG-34.

However, I don't think that's what I'm looking for.  I was watching the old movie "Battle of Britain" and I kept seeing the machine guns the German air crews were using to defend the bombers.  THAT'S what I'd like somebody to identify for me.  I would think they'd want something larger than an 8mm for anti-aircraft work, but I'm just not that familiar with German machine guns.

"Everybody" knows the US used the .50 cal. M-2's, but what was the German go-to gun for use in bombers?  For that matter, what did the British use?  Lend-Lease M-2's?

Thanks,

Alp-uh... Angus

5 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

think the Germans mounted a 12.7(?)mm in some of their fighters.  I don't know what model designation they had, nor if they were modified for bomber use.

"MG 131 machine gun - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_131_machine_gun

I recall the rate of fire on the German MGs was high and distinctive. So much so that troops were cautioned not to use or fire captured weapons.

My uncle related a story, with tears in his eyes, of the time, in Normandy, his tank platoon was in night lager and the distinctive sound to the German MGs was heard in the brush close-by.

The tank platoon was ordered to open fire by the accompanying infantry commander.

When dawn broke, it was discovered they had opened fire on another Canadian unit, whose members ignored the orders not to use or fire captured weapons.

Like all air forces they did not use the same guns in all planes.  There was a variety from 8mm to 20mm+.  What they were using in a movie versus what they were actually using is also not necessarily the same.  The MG42 fired at up to 1,800 rounds per minute and did have a very distinctive sound.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Forearms?  Must be from the deep South and used received pronunciation for that spelling!   :lol:

Sounds like the same thing as the cowboy whose hoss got caught up in the war.  In the war?  Ya know...the bob war!:rolleyes::lol:

Archived