SASS Wire Forum

Win 24

Is the Winchester model 24 sxs a good choice?  What if anything should I look for when checking one over?  I am looking to shoot frontier cartridge with it so would like something reliable.

I have two and they are built very strong..  Some pards say they are too heavy, but that depends on the shooter.  At a reasonable price, they would make fine black powder sxs for that event.

They are Fine Guns !!!

Built , some say over built to last a lifetime or ten ...

I use mine in 16 ga. sometimes but mostly I shoot hammered Guns ...

Mine has 28 inch barrels choked Mod/ Imp Mod ....

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks for the replies Frontier Lone Rider and Jabez Cowboy.  It is good to have input from someone who actually uses one to shoot Cowboy Action with.

I'll give you a little more information.  I tuned one for a possible Chronicle article to see if it was a suitable shotgun for CAS.  First internally it is extremely complex.  There are few if any smiths that can take one apart let alone put it back together as it has been out of production for 65 years and few have had experience with them.  So however your action is when you get it that is pretty much how it will stay.  It is striker fired so the lock time is very quick and it has pretty decent trigger pulls.  Very well made up to Winchester standards.  A lot of people find the trigger placement odd.   They are fairly straight and close together and the rear one is short.  The extractors are pushed out by springs as opposed to most doubles where the extractors are mechanically pushed back when you open the barrels.  This is only relevant if you get a stuck shell.  There is no mechanical leverage to push out the hull so you can grab it.

Here is a photo of some of the guts.  What makes it difficult to work with is that virtally all the firing mechanism is held in with one screw.  Once that is removed everything pops out at once.

PA242126.jpeg

Archived