SASS Wire Forum

Alcatraz Menu

Subdeacon Joe

"Main Line" sure beats "Solitary!"  :lol:

All in all, I'd say them boys ate well back then.  :)

I daresay better than many, if not most Americans of the day.  :huh:

For comparison, here's a sample of a modern menu... oddly, no mention of breakfast. 

1824378180_FederalPrisonMenu1.jpg.f1988ae8dc45e0fa817e427a71e0d569.jpg

I'm reminded of Herb Caen, columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, once reporting that prisoners at some prison (San Quinton?) loudly bitching and filing complaints about the ice cream being too hard.  :wacko:

44 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

... oddly, no mention of breakfast. 

Maybe because these days it would be against their human rights to wake them up early enough to eat breakfast...

Looks real good on paper. I’ll bet the reality was quite different…said the guy that used to read Navy menus with anticipation only to be slapped in the tastebuds with blechhhhh! :blink:

WOW!  sure beats mustard and onion sandwiches or ketchup sandwich I got for lunch.  Beans for supper, greens and maybe a potato.

Saturday - FISH - it was free from the river, Sunday - Chicken - maybe.

STL Suomi

We eat good in our family because Mom knows how to cook.   At 93, she is still cooking and 

still tasting great.

But, our menu was limited:  oatmeal or rice for breakfast, with Milk and bread.

Sandwiches for lunch: Baloney or PNut butter/jelly, kool-aid.

Supper:  usually a good meat with a variety of veggies,  Milk, tea,  and a dessert about twice a week.

Sometimes, we could get some ice cream, sometimes a cold Pepsi, etc.....

Mom could make a Polk Salad taste like a Texas T-Bone.   She's a good cook!

..........Widder

The Bureau of Prisons made sure that Alcatraz not only had good food but the best in the Federal prison system.

Considering how little freedom the prisoners had, taking away the food was one of the only punishments they really had.

One of the foodie shows did a bit on the food on Alcatraz a while back. There's been restaurants in SF that have tried to duplicate the menus.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

School lunch menus always looked good on paper too.

I grew up when the public schools were getting a lot of WWII military surplus food.  To this day I can't stand canned cooked tomatoes, spinach, spam, boiled potatoes, or creamed peas,,,all of which came in cans.  Nor can I stomach American cheese or Cheese Whiz, Powdered milk, potatoes, or gravy of any kind. 

Once I got a bit of money of my own I'd get two Spudnuts and a small carton of milk, or in Junior High we'd go down to a Chinese place and get soup or salad and Coke.  Once in a while we'd go across the street to a meat market and get a carton of iced salad shrimp and milk.....all for two bits.

Archived