SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have nerves in lower back burned?

G W Wade

Doctors been running tests and seem to think burning the nerves will help with pain in my hip.  Ant personel experience with this .  Know it grows back in 6 to 12 months , but do not know the down side.    Thanks    GW

30 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Doctors been running tests and seem to think burning the nerves will help with pain in my hip.  Ant personel experience with this .  Know it grows back in 6 to 12 months , but do not know the down side.    Thanks    GW

They are called Radio Frequency Ablations (RFA).  And yes, I have it done about every 10-11 months.  For me there really is no down side, as it is the only thing that relieves my back pain.  My back injury is inoperable.  I've tried everything including cortisone injections.  The RFA's are the only thing that worked.  Yes, they can do them every six months, but my last about 11 months.  Do not let them do without sedation (you are still awake).  I had it done without sedation once during Covid and had to ask them to stop and come back and finish after they would start doing them again with sedation.  I guess the only draw back is having to go back periodically and have it re-done.  There is a permanent version that requires more time off.  It is done only a few places.  Feel free to message me with any questions.  I've had them done five or six times.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

They are called Radio Frequency Ablations (RFA).  And yes, I have it done about every 10-11 months.  For me there really is no down side, as it is the only thing that relieves my back pain.  My back injury is inoperable.  I've tried everything including cortisone injections.  The RFA's are the only thing that worked.  Yes, they can do them every six months, but my last about 11 months.  Do not let them do without sedation (you are still awake).  I had it done without sedation once during Covid and had to ask them to stop and come back and finish after they would start doing them again with sedation.  I guess the only draw back is having to go back periodically and have it re-done.  There is a permanent version that requires more time off.  It is done only a few places.  Feel free to message me with any questions.  I've had them done five or six times.

About every 6-8 months I get the cortisone injections much more frequently than I used to. Are the RFA injections much more painful than the cortisone? They use a local on the cortisone but when they start fishing around with that big needle you feel it anyway. I’m not a good candidate for surgery, or so they tell me.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

About every 6-8 months I get the cortisone injections much more frequently than I used to. Are the RFA injections much more painful than the cortisone? They use a local on the cortisone but when they start fishing around with that big needle you feel it anyway. I’m not a good candidate for surgery, or so they tell me.

From my experience the RFAs are much less painful than the Cortisone. I walk out to the car afterwards and am good to go the next day. My relief is almost immediate but they say best relief is within a week afterwards. Cortisone never worked for me. 

My wife has been having RFAs in her neck. She has had it done in her back as well. For her, the first week is Hell. She has a lot of pain. They won’t give her anything for that pain. However, once she is over that period she gets a lot of relief for about 8 months.  Medicare won’t cover the cost of anesthesia, we finally started paying out of pocket for that. She would come home and cry for a day or two over the pain.  She says it’s worth it.

1 minute ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

My wife has been having RFAs in her neck. She has had it done in her back as well. For her, the first week is Hell. She has a lot of pain. They won’t give her anything for that pain. However, once she is over that period she gets a lot of relief for about 8 months.  Medicare won’t cover the cost of anesthesia, we finally started paying out of pocket for that. She would come home and cry for a day or two over the pain.  She says it’s worth it.

I had it done without anesthesia once.  Never again.  But it is well worth it to me.

Archived