SASS Wire Forum

Local Match based on nationally solicited/selected Unique Stages? Ideas Sought.

Popcorn Kelly

I’m already thinking about my turn as Match Director for one of our monthly matches next year, and would like to do something slightly different. 

Here is my idea:  Hold an Around the US (or World) Cowboy Action Shooting Match.  The match would consist of six stages, each of which is uniquely identified with and submitted by a specific club or region.  Each stage would be set up, introduced, and specifically identified for the club submitting it.  I think this would add an interesting,  and different wrinkle to our series of monthly matches.  

Taking this one step further, and if the involved clubs would want to do so, perhaps we could work it so that we could shoot the same set of stages during the same month.  

If this interests you and you have a stage that is unique to your club or your region, please send me the stage by replying and attaching the stage to your message or simply by email it to me directly.  Be sure to include a description of the stage, its name as you know it, what makes it unique to your club or region, as well as the stage details, e.g., typical target distances used for the stage, targets/props used, and any special opening line, etc.   Obviously, certain details may have to be adapted to local conditions/facilities, but if Cowboys are nothing else, we are creative. 

Our facilities offer plenty of opportunity for lateral and forward movement, a nice variety of steel plate hangers, targets, and shotgun knock-down targets, a horizontal (left to right) pistol plate rack target (could be rifle but they’d become pretty small targets), a shotgun pop-up clay bird target, and we may have access to a front-back plate rack.  Obviously, we wouldn’t have access to any one-off props required so please take that into consideration.  However, if simple enough we may be able to fashion something we would need.  To learn more about our facilities go to www.illowairregulars.com. 

So, what do you think?  Does this concept have any merit or is this an off-the-wall idea?  If you like the idea and think it does please consider submitting your unique stage. 

17 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Kind of reminds me of the Pony Express Postal Match that the Doily gang did several years ago.

There have been a few iterations of a postal match throughout the years.

Archived