SASS Wire Forum

What is Your Secure Firearms Storage Solution?

There are frequent reports of CAS firearms stolen from competitors vehicles.  Five years ago I purchase a new tow vehicle for my trailer and installed a Truck Vault.  It cost $2k installed.  I am comfortable leaving my firearms in it with my vehicle unattended.  It is quite secure and almost invisible under the canopy of my truck.  What is your secure firearms storage solution?  There are other solutions, some much less expensive than my choice.

4 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

There are frequent reports of CAS firearms stolen from competitors vehicles.  Five years ago I purchase a new tow vehicle for my trailer and installed a Truck Vault.  It cost $2k installed.  I am comfortable leaving my firearms in it with my vehicle unattended.  It is quite secure and almost invisible under the canopy of my truck.  What is your secure firearms storage solution?  There are other solutions, some much less expensive than my choice.

I suppose we ve always felt secure on range...something to ponder.

The Truck Vault is nice... but it does little when they just take the truck! That's what happened to a couple friends of mine. IMO putting a wheel lock or similar device to stop these scumbags from taking the vehicle is money well spent. Car alarms are worthless. They will open the hood, cut the battery lead, disable the alarm then reattach the battery and drive off. They will do all of this in a matter of a couple minutes and virtually in silence. 

Snakebite

7 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

The Truck Vault is nice... but it does little when they just take the truck! That's what happened to a couple friends of mine. IMO putting a wheel lock or similar device to stop these scumbags from taking the vehicle is money well spent. Car alarms are worthless. They will open the hood, cut the battery lead, disable the alarm then reattach the battery and drive off. They will do all of this in a matter of a couple minutes and virtually in silence. 

Snakebite

I have a great anti-theft device between the seats of my Camaro.  It's called a manual transmission.

I'm with Phantom, no pro gun stickers, in fact no stickers at all. 

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't have guns...but if I did and I carried them in my truck, I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of Bumper Stickers on my truck that might indicate that I'm a gun guy...which I'm not...

:mellow:

THAT is a absolute fact. A good deal of problems come from the fact that some gun owner just can't keep their mouths shut. The same goes for all the online chest beating about everything you have, or what you are going to do if this or that happens. ANYONE that thinks online vibrato is not being monitored by Algorithms that watch for key words is just ignoring the facts. I totally believe in what Teddy said... "Speak softly and carry a big stick". A lot of our friends need to follow his advice. 

I’ve built a few of these. I installed a hidden ignition cutoff switch in my truck.

92F9D58F-A409-4640-93F9-510B42E262CA.jpeg

6CE99A71-0724-42A5-A94F-856B7850F751.jpeg

33E7397C-32DD-44CA-A1D5-F1EBB7F605AC.jpeg

2648A59F-C0E1-4117-8A27-86EC34B75486.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I don't have guns...but if I did and I carried them in my truck, I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of Bumper Stickers on my truck that might indicate that I'm a gun guy...which I'm not...

:mellow:

So the first rule about gun club, we don’t talk about gun club. 

30 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite

Happened to Evil Roy once!!!

53 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have a great anti-theft device between the seats of my Camaro.  It's called a manual transmission.

I'm with Phantom, no pro gun stickers, in fact no stickers at all. 

You're right.  Things aren't like they used to be.  The age group stealing vehicles looks down and sees a clutch pedal and walks away.   We recently had a carjacker force two people out of a pickup, then stall the truck trying to take off.   Police response was faster than the guy's learning curve.  Sad part is I'm sure he was out the next day due to jail overcrowding.

My 2019 F250 has a full width secure storage lockup under the rear seat that at least keeps valuables out of sight and away from honest peoples' temptation.  

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite

I also have a LoJack.   Trucks also get stolen.  

I don't own any firearms.  But I do have some expensive fishin' rods that I'd like to keep secure in a Class C motorhome.

If any Pards have any successful ideas on a secret/secure way to do that in an RV, please PM me.

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

(travelling fisherman)

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I dont really have anything to add to the thread topic because I have never even fired a gun much less owned one.

But the manual transmission thing...

A few years ago - I found myself in a financial hole and took on an additional job to cover bills.

I became a test driver for prototype/ pre production cars (not as cool as it sounds - super boring, to be honest).

But the company I was driving for had the contract for Daimler, Land Rover and Jaguar (so I got to drive some cool cars).  

But they called a meeting one morning and asked for a show of hands, who could drive a stick?

My hand shot up and as I looked around the room of 20 drivers - mine was the only hand raised.

My name was noted and I was pulled aside after the meeting.

"We just got some new cars from Mercedes in to test, but they're manual transmission - until we get a couple more drivers; you are on these cars"

Cool! 

This was the period of Mercedes high performance vehicles attempting to compete with Porsche and Ferrari.

I am stoked.

Until the next day and I am directed to the heavily camouflaged SMART car prototypes that had been trucked in the day before.

Jaguars and Land Rovers and C Class Mercedes to a Smart Car with no radio.

Yayyy for the ability to drive a manual transmission.

Archived