SASS Wire Forum

Blatant Toxic Masculinity

Subdeacon Joe

Found on Facebook 

"Our family would like to give a shout out to Sgt Benjamin Reinoldt 2nd LAR from Camp Lejeune North Carolina for getting into 18 inches of water to hook up my mothers car and pull it out. Thank You!  Please help make this go viral. A Marine in full uniform did this. Let show him the respect he deserves."

FB_IMG_1626404325666.jpg

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sounds like a pretty typical marine to me.  Semper fi, my brother and thanks for helping out someone in one of my other families.

My first thought was "Well of course, he is a Marine."

What's sad is that the Marine's behavior stands out instead of being the norm for this country

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

It is great that he was able to help them,...but I would be willing to bet his first thought was "are there crayons under there?"

Imis

How do you think they lured him under there?

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

What's sad is that the Marine's behavior stands out instead of being the norm for this country

You make an excellent point. All too often it seems more people are willing to point fingers and accuse and criticize instead of helping. Sad state of affairs currently.

24 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I think many soldiers, sailors, airmen and coasties would do the same. Okay, maybe not airmen… :lol: Get into rural areas across the nation, and plenty of others would as well. I don’t know if it rises to the level of “the norm” or not, but those with the know-how and confidence often step up. The military and self sufficient types usually have those.

16 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I might have to disagree a bit. A Marine in uniform doing what he did makes for a great snapshot and story, but the heart and mindset which led him to this act of service is way more common than shown in popular culture. 

Three weeks ago I was in a bad accident with my granddaughter in the car. The couple behind us stopped immediately, went way above and beyond to make sure we were okay, took time to stick around and give their statement to the officer, and left anonymous. I’ll bet a nickel they’d have also gone under the car in the picture.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

You make an excellent point. All too often it seems more people are willing to point fingers and accuse and criticize instead of helping. Sad state of affairs currently.

Currently?  Dan, it's been that way for many years.  It's just increasing at a very frightening rate over the last ten or twenty years.

There are still a lot of people, not just Marines, who are willing to get into a situation that is not to their advantage and help.

And yeah, that Marine was getting crayons to help keep his Navy "children" occupied.

Don't worry folks,  give the story enough time and the media will criticize him for

removing his 'cover' before he went under the water.

Then his CO will be scrutinized for not punishing him for being outdoors without his cover on.

..........Widder

19 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Currently?  Dan, it's been that way for many years.  It's just increasing at a very frightening rate over the last ten or twenty years.

There are still a lot of people, not just Marines, who are willing to get into a situation that is not to their advantage and help.

And yeah, that Marine was getting crayons to help keep his Navy "children" occupied.

Ooooohhhhhh.....duh!!! Yup....Navy!!!:wub:

I might add MY Navy childhood friend and my Marine hubby are seriously better friends than I ever was!!!

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

My first thought was "Well of course, he is a Marine."

Doc,

So true. He's just embracing the suck.  It's just American, home grown, domestic suck. 

12 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Army, and I am used to mud and water, but thanks for the upgrade

Imis

All you service men (and I Thank You ALL for it) seem to pick on each other so relentlessly!!!

It is hard to know who and where and what!!:wub:

I love you all!!!:FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Don't worry folks,  give the story enough time and the media will criticize him for

Then his CO will be scrutinized for not punishing him for being outdoors without his cover on.

..........Widder

How do you know he took his cover off? That can't be seen via the posted photo. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

All you service men (and I Thank You ALL for it) seem to pick on each other so relentlessly!!!

Sue 

Military folks are just like a big family. We bicker and taunt each other but when we are “attacked” buy outsiders we circle the wagons and support each other, just like a family 

13 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Sue 

Military folks are just like a big family. We bicker and taunt each other but when we are “attacked” buy outsiders we circle the wagons and support each other, just like a family 

Exactly

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Well played, Forty Rod. :lol:

And a salute to the Marine. :FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

How do you know he took his cover off? That can't be seen via the posted photo. :rolleyes:

I don't know.  But when did the media ever deal with the facts!

:lol:

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

SEXIST!!!

We pick on women in uniform, too.....and they pick back.  :D:FlagAm:

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Sorry to sidetrack, but, memories, ya know.

After I had jumped out of my patrol car to chase a burglar through a few yards, over a couple fences, drug him out from under a porch, wrestled with him to get him handcuffed and led him out to the street to another patrol car, the first thing the Capt. who had just arrived on the scene said to me was:  "Where's your hat?"  :blink:

Angus

57 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Sorry to sidetrack, but, memories, ya know.

After I had jumped out of my patrol car to chase a burglar through a few yards, over a couple fences, drug him out from under a porch, wrestled with him to get him handcuffed and led him out to the street to another patrol car, the first thing the Capt. who had just arrived on the scene said to me was:  "Where's your hat?"  :blink:

Angus

My chief used to joke that I was the only officer that ever wore out a hat carrying it back and forth to the car

Archived