SASS Wire Forum

Had not thought of that.

Talking to someone, a while ago, and they brought up an interesting question.

They stated that: A license is something that gives you permission to do something, that is otherwise illegal. 

I responded: Yep, I guess so. I was thinking of a hunting license, or a fishing license, or a trapping license.

Then they said: So why do we all go get a marriage license???

It is not illegal to marry someone without a license. They can have a strictly religious ceremony performed. 

If they wish, they can have a marriage certificate made up, to their specifications, at a local print shop...have the pastor, and witnesses sign the certificate, and have it notarized, and they can take the marriage certificate down to the county clerk, and have it filed, for a filing fee.

Or, I presume, they need not even do that. I think it is called a "common law" marriage. 

Some employers may insist on a copy of a marriage license, so your spouse will be qualified to be insured...I don't know. I wonder if a home-made marriage certificate would suffice for that?? 

Then they said: why does the State need to be asked permission, via a license, for me, or you, to marry someone???  What has the State got to do with it? (other than to take your kids if they perceive they "need" to).

I presume if one has a civil ceremony, then maybe a license may be needed, but I am not sure.    

I had no answer. I had never thought of it that way before.

For insurance, inheritance, and financial purposes. And to make sure only the one marriage is valid at any time. Also verify age of consent.

But it is not a matter of permission for the union as much as it is one of registration of the union. Well, "permission" does come into play with age of consent or another still active undissolved marriage.

Some states do it so that the family tree has at least a few branches. :o

Mostly you need it for financial purposes. Namely taxes and insurance,

I believe only eight states allow Common Law marriages. However all 50 states and the District of Columbia recognize a Common Law marriage performed in another jurisdiction that does.

I always understood marriage licenses went back to Jim Crow laws to prevent racial mixing. Kinda like blood tests before a license was approved. Sickle cell anemia is an inherited condition. 

On 7/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, John Kloehr said:

For insurance, inheritance, and financial purposes. And to make sure only the one marriage is valid at any time. Also verify age of consent.

But it is not a matter of permission for the union as much as it is one of registration of the union. Well, "permission" does come into play with age of consent or another still active undissolved marriage.

Why is it any of the government's business to "allow" only monogamous marriages....or to get involved in any way in any marriage?

Archived