SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Legal

Tater Head

Dumb question regarding 1911 slide serrations. Is this pistol eligible for "Traditional" Wild Bunch Matches? https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-mil-spec-handguns/ . The serrations are slanted forward.

The hand books says "•Only rear slide checkering or serrations. No front slide checkering or serrations".

II'll use a different pistol if this one not allowed.

Thanks,

Tater

The "forward slide serrations" describes a position on the slide, not the slant of the serrations.

Your picture has the serrations on the rear half of the slide.  As J Frank stated, legal for any category.

Serrations on the FRONT half of the slide, forward of the ejection port, would be ones that are not allowed in Traditional WB categories (because they were not applied to many 1911s until about the 1980s).

good luck, GJ

Thanks for your reply JFM,

I've used this in local matches and one one ever said anything one way or the other. I did cover the white dots on the sights. I really like the trigger on my MilSpec. It's as good as my Gold Cup.

Thanks Again,

Tater

Thanks Joe! I thought so but wanted some confirmation. I probably won't shoot in any of the big matches but wanted to know for my own satisfaction.

Thank Again,

Tater

I am aggravated by this for two reasons:

1. I passed up a nice one of these because of the serrations

2. I told another shooter wrongly!

Mostly #2

Hi Deacon,

sorry you passed up one. I've really enjoyed mine for years.  I think the guy you're thinking  about picked a good one anyway and probably cheaper.Lol!

Thanks for reply.

Tater

5 minutes ago, Tater Head said:

Hi Deacon,

sorry you passed up one. I've really enjoyed mine for years.  I think the guy you're thinking  about picked a good one anyway and probably cheaper.Lol!

Thanks for reply.

Tater

Yup, we are talking in PM right now!

The sights on the Springfield are really much easier to see than the mil-spec nubs.

OK guys so I didn't buy one yet.....would you opt for the Springfield or the Auto Ordinance, I am not worried about the cost I want the better gun. One has wooden grips that's already a big plus for me?????

I think I'd go with the Springfield. I've had mine for more than 10  trouble free years and 3-4000 rounds through it. 

Last year I bought one of these.  https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911-a1-service-model/ . All parts are supposed to be interchangeable with a G.I. 11911. They claim the only difference is the lowered ejection port. Mine is the olive drab one. I've put right at a thousand round of reloads through it with no problems. Accurate as any USGI pistol I've ever had. Bought it because of the price and curiosity. Very pleased with it except the hammer bite. I've got fleshy hands. Worth taking a look at. Check out what they have to say about it in a 1911 Forum. https://www.1911forum.com/search/99910/?q=tisas&o=relevance

Springer is my first choice.

Good Luck,

Tater

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

You might consider asking Wild Bunch equipment questions on the SASS Wild Bunch Forum.  ;)

Thanks for link never knew it existed :)

6 minutes ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

I think it is dumb to have a separate forum! 

The WBAS Rules Committee (and the majority of WB shooters) would (most likely) disagree with that opinion...IMO.

Have you looked at the number of separate dedicated discussion boards on that forum?

Combining CAS and WBAS discussion groups would be a moderator's nightmare!  (again, IMO)

Archived