SASS Wire Forum

Who makes a replica S&W number 3 revolver that is closet to the original?

baranjhn

10 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

You have far more patience than I do. I don't have the patience to sit through amateur videos where the author blabs and blabs instead of getting to the point in a timely manner.

thumbs-up.png

15 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

You have far more patience than I do. I don't have the patience to sit through amateur videos where the author blabs and blabs instead of getting to the point in a timely manner.

If I had your extensive collection of original examples, I wouldn't have to rely on YouTube videos to do my research.  

Thanks for sharing your firearm collection and knowledge.  

P.S.  Watching YouTube videos at 2x speed helps. 

18 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Has anyone tried the Cimarron first model American?   Shooting black powder?

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-no-3-1st-model-american-44wcf-5-in.html

Looks like the 44WCF in 5" is available. 

I have one in .45 Colt.   I have not tried black powder in it.   It is a very well made and good looking pistol, and I really like it.

Of the several calibers listed on their website, I have only one I have seen for sale is .45 Colt.   I got mine via Midway.   They seem very hard to come by, and I have no idea how many have been/were made.

Howdy Again

I was in the shop again today where I saw one of the  Schofield 2000 revolvers that S&W made from 2000 until 2002. This time I asked the clerk for a tape measure. He provided one, probably thinking I was going to measure the barrel. Nope, I measured the length of the cylinder. 1 7/16", just like the originals. These revolvers were chambered for the 45 Schofield round, not 45 Colt. No way a 45 Colt would fit into a cylinder that short, just like with the originals. Dunno why S&W did not make space in the frame for a decent gas collet or ring on the front of the cylinder, it could have easily been done just like on the originals. The gas collet on the front of this cylinder was there, but it was tiny and would probably be useless shielding the arbor from BP fouling blasted out of the barrel/cylinder gap.

Lat time I was in about three weeks ago they had one of these. Today there were two. At around $2800 each I was not going to spring for one, particularly since I have a couple of originals.

Archived