SASS Wire Forum

Bench rest shooting

I have vague memories of shooters who used rifles with chambers cut undersized so that the neck was too tight.  They then used a custom reamer (Wilson ?) to ream the necks for a tight slip fit for the bullet.  This was called a "Texas Tight Neck" and was done to make the bullet alignment with the bore consistent.

Does anyone here know about this technique, and what the results were?

Duffield

Some Lustrum ago, I was smitten by the Bench Rest Craze.  Like to drove me to Drink.  I use to put more time into the preparation of 20 special selected cases then I do now for Five Thousand.  Yep, tried "Texas Tight" chambers.  Custom special cut chambers, Chambers cut so the bullet lightly touched the rifling.  Very precise dies for "perfect" bullet alignment.

My rifles would shoot inside a Dime at 300 yards, when the atmospherics were just perfect.  None of the uber trick stuff I tried and used made more than a quarter inch difference in group size.

Then I recovered and became almost sane again

Shot Bench rest for a few years... and yes... brand new cases were trimmed..had their primer pockets "uniformed" and were then "neck turned" to match the neck dimension of the chamber.   "Too tight" is an odd way to describe it... they were undersized compared to a standard "factory rifle" but by the time I shot the game most of us were using 6PPC..and I don't think there was much in the way of "hunting" rifles (or factory ammo) in that calibre. 

Different barrel makers had different ideas on the best dimensions... my Light and Heavy barrels (switch barrel action) both had .264 chambers... (The factory 6mm Remington cartridge by comparison has a SAAMI neck diameter of .276, the 6 x 47 has .269)  You ONLY used the brass in the ONE rifle.  SO......you had brass that was perfectly fire formed to THAT chamber...that JUST held the projectile tightly enough..and which thus expanded only a miniscule amount on firing....  That contributed to the brilliant accuracy..AND to virtually unlimited case life.   (Reloads were done just behind the line using arbor presses.... and a good quality powder thrower) ....same cases over and over again. 

I only HAD about 12 cases properly prepared..because the neck turning was a giant PITA.   A 5 shot group (plus sighters) was fired at each target... in squad relays.   The targets had moving backers to ensure 5 shots had been fired.   With the groups being shot you could NOT count the number of holes..it was ONE hole.  LOL      I was never competitive at it... and even I shot groups like .180" at 100 yards......and .450 at 200..... 

Like CC...I regained my sanity.....

210893029_4031579560289264_6786542743438101568_n.jpg

Archived