SASS Wire Forum

How difficult is it to change a birth certificate

Alpo

Sally has a baby. And she is listed as the mother on the birth certificate. But the blank for father was left blank.

Several years later Sally and the father have gotten back together, and they wish to have the father officially listed as the father.

How difficult would it be to get him put on the birth certificate? Would he have to adopt his own kid to be put there?

That would vary from state to state.  My niece answered an ad off the internet and went to Austratlia to meet this guy she had never even talked too.  Got pregnant.  Guy A threw her out.  She moved in with Guy B and when the baby was born she listed him as the father.  He stayed in Australia and she moved back to the USA.  I don't know if the kid is an Australian, US citizen, aboriginee or what.

19 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Sally has a baby. And she is listed as the mother on the birth certificate. But the blank for father was left blank.

Several years later Sally and the father have gotten back together, and they wish to have the father officially listed as the father.

How difficult would it be to get him put on the birth certificate? Would he have to adopt his own kid to be put there?

Nope. Pay the $25 fee (or whatever it is now) to add the father.

58 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

First look at title, I thought he was wanting to change his sex...

I guess I have lived too long the state of California to long...Out here things change with the wind...

Texas Lizard

Clicked it expecting to read about someone being denied retirement benefits because the wrong year was printed on their certificate.  

I had to do some digging for records to change mine for date-of-birth. The hospital where I was born had me two days early. They had put the date my mother was admitted. I guess accurate record keeping wasn't as critical in 1942. Or that hospital staff was just sloppy.

Also have to wonder why my parents didn't have it corrected immediately.

Rex :D

Archived