SASS Wire Forum

If you could start over again, what would you do or buy differently?

Go West

I could have done a lot of things differently, but I did get an expensive education. At the end of the day, a day of shooting beats most other things and I enjoy being around like minded folks.

Everything I did led me to here.
Are u asking if here is that bad?

Do I have regrets?

Here is pretty good.

I have regrets, but too few to mention.

Waimea

I bought a bandolier which did not work for me but sold it to someone who genuinely wanted it. On net, no regret.

Bought a holster rig which just did not work, but learned so much from it and bought an interim (beginner) rig to learn more, so no regret yet.

I bought two '97s that I have not even shot yet. That was starting to be a regret...

But then I developed a problem with my Stoeger SxS which I am trying to get to. Should it need a smith, I will swap it with either '97 which runs so maybe this won't be a regret. Do need to strip, oil, and test them to find out if there is a regret. Maybe not though.

Time will tell. If I'm running  '97 in August, then the answer will be "no."

13 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

But then I developed a problem with my Stoeger SxS which I am trying to get to. Should it need a smith, I will swap it with either '97 which runs so maybe this won't be a regret. Do need to strip, oil, and test them to find out if there is a regret. Maybe not though.

Time will tell. If I'm running  '97 in August, then the answer will be "no."

John, 

one of the best, if not the best, 97 smiths in the country lives in Harriman, TN

and works on many of the cowboy guns that shoot at Oak Ridge, Cleveland, Kentucky, etc....

You should see him and run into him at the Oak Ridge matches.

He sets all my 97's up and they are very reliable.   I'm a little rough on them also.

..........Widder

I would have started with 357  instead of 44-40.  Now all my guns (including my Derringer) are 357.

I came from another shooting discipline so feel my purchases were good ones in that I asked, watched, and pulled out the pocketbook to buy quality.  Made sure all of my guns were tuned by a competent person cause I am not that competent.  So, what I see as doing different would be to try to attend as many club matches as I could get to and watch, ask, and above all, listen, not in an effort to get fast quick but to learn good habits.

I'm not shooting with any of the guns I started with but I still have them.  Winchester 94, Stephens 411 shotgun and a couple of Blackhawks.   I probably should have upgraded to an XL650 sooner.  I loaded on a Square Deal for 10 years.  So far, not too many regrets.  I did pass on a couple of guns over the years that I kinda wish I'd bought, but I guess we all have a few of those regrets.

There is a learning curve to everything.  I learned from those mistakes, and don't regret making any of them.  Smarter because of them,  So, even though I've gone through numerous guns, I don't think I'd change a thing.

Started with C&B revolvers, a Hartford 1892 in 45 and a Rossi coach gun. Still shoot all of my C&B revolvers after 16 years but now shoot a 73 & 66 rifle in 44-40. Added a 87 Lever SG but still have the Rossi. I guess I started with what works for me but now enjoy my Open Tops in 45 S&W when the weather is cold. Still a fun game even with the many changes over the years. DC

Leather. I woulda bought quality leather. I've spent more on low end leather trying to figure out what works for me than buying a top notch rig. I'm pretty happy with my gun situation even though I'm shooting what works for our game instead of what I like. But what I like didn't hold up to my improved stage times. 

Yup, started sooner. :D

Probably nothing.  Without the knowledge gained over the past 30 years or so, it's hard to say what would be done differently.  Today, I would start with better, i.e. more expensive guns, the thought being that two pistols at a cheaper price is not necessarily better than a better set at a higher price.  The same goes for rifles, shotgun, leather and reloading equipment .  I couldn't have started too much earlier, in any event.

Never bought earthwalker boots.  Largest waste of money ive had in sass.

Maybe travel to a few more away shoots 

Skipped right to a "Fast Eddie" prepared SKB shotgun.

Got a different hat.  While I like the hat I have, the pencil roll edge collects brass and can slow down the brass picking process as the pickers are looking for those 3 pieces of brass up in my hat.  

I would have bought my Knudsen hat earlier.  I would have bought a Rugged Gear gun cart sooner.  I would have never bought a Triple K rig.  I would have bought two Harlan Wolf 1873s instead of only one.  

Don't get me started on how my primer and powder purchases would have been different last year.

3 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

...I should have listened to Blackwater more.

Imis

I met Blackwater at an oil change place (he was getting work done on his vehicle) and we sat and talked for an hour.  He's the one that eventually convinced me to attend the TN State last year.  I'm hooked solid now!

Wishes

1- started earlier

2- had more disposable income

3- purchased Dillon and MEC earlier

4- religiously maintained larger primer supply

No real regrets, though.

I would have tried to find another shooting family to shadow for a few matches. Buying gear and learning the ropes is a lot different when there is five of you. 

I also would have just attended a few matches by myself first so sniff out the vibe of the clubs around me.  Some are more welcoming and patient than others.

Regrets pertaining to shooting:  I wish I hadn't sold that 5 inch S&W model 28 and about  that S&W model 66 that arrived with no rifling within the barrel, wish I hadn't sent it back to S&W.  Along with the Ruger Model 77 Mannlicher in .308.

I’m with Evil, Earthwalkers waste of money. 
kept the MEC Sizemaster when I got a progressive. Sometimes you just want to load a few, or BP. 
I bought good equipment from the get go, I did move up to Jimmy Spurs Rugers, but sold my original Rugers for what I paid for them. 

never, under any circumstances mention to your Pards that you don’t have a 22. They will give you so much grief that you gave to go get 22s (I have 7 now:o

Pards, after over 65 years of competitive shooting I have no regrets, I've enjoyed the quest.

Regards

17 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

John, 

one of the best, if not the best, 97 smiths in the country lives in Harriman, TN

and works on many of the cowboy guns that shoot at Oak Ridge, Cleveland, Kentucky, etc....

You should see him and run into him at the Oak Ridge matches.

He sets all my 97's up and they are very reliable.   I'm a little rough on them also.

..........Widder

He's pretty good with a '73 as well, if we're talking about the same feller.

Archived