SASS Wire Forum

Vaultek LifePod, you using one? Update, with photo

Iron Pony

OK, so the 2.0 model came in yesterday and after goofing around with it for a while I like it.  Wouldnt fit in my sling bag but I've also got a small molle daypack that it does so nicley, with enough room for a change of clothing, shaving kit etc.  Weighs about 3 pounds empty and the clamp locks remind me of good camera/equipment/gun cases.

With the goodie tray out and the extra layer of egg crate foam in neither of the 1911s moved around.  The configuration shown in the photos is exactly what I was looking for.  It will also hold a Sig 220, minus holster, with and a double mag pouch as well or a Glock 17 with mounted streamlight light/laser, 2 extra mags and a streamlight stinger flashlight.  Saddly it will not hold my 5.5" bbl Smokewagons LOL.  Next up is figuring out routing the retention cables in the vehicles.

May order up some of their "pickfoam" and see what fits how without leather gear.  

If so give and you are willing to offer feedback here, feel free.  Thinking about one of the 2.0 models for vehicle use and just maybe travel type.

Thanks.

compact.jpg

full size.jpg

I use a cheap one from Harbor Freight, $20. I put cable around driver seat mounting and just let it ride under the seat. Slides out for easy access. 

33 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Had to look up what it was!!!

Not going to speak on what I 'thought' it might be!?!:P:rolleyes:

Hell of a time to start behaving yourself!

I have reached a point in my life where, no matter how good a product is, if the advertising seems to me to be lying, I won't buy it.

Screenshot_20210715-155229.thumb.png.adaca72be0d18d4076d62d1c8122c07c.png

Maybe it's just me, but that sure seems to say that you can take your gun in your carry-on if you got it in one of their little vaults.

:lol: It is TSA compliant... And you can bring it in carry-on as long as you do not have a firearm in it. Good for docs and jewelry though. The non-phone web site makes this clear. Also, she could be her own private plane so it might be compliant in that case; not 100% sure as I do not own a private plane.

Now think about TSA compliance... Does not mean it is airline compliant.

For airline compliance, being ready for the strictest airline is the best option.

So, the safe needs a cable and the cable needs to go around some frame in your luggage. So your luggage needs to have a frame the safe cable can go around.

Next, the lock on the safe. Some airlines do not accept combo or bio or any electronic locks. They must be secured with a key lock. Your key, your lock. This is a somewhat literal interpretation of TSA guidelines, it is also a strict interpretation. Some airlines are OK with combo locks, anything battery-powered in checked luggage can present a problem with some airlines.

I spent about $50 for my airline "safe" with a cable and key lock. I could pry it open in about 30 seconds with a large screwdriver. It is not weather-tight. It is allowed on all domestic airlines to the best of my knowledge.

The bag must be checked, the firearm must be declared, ammo can not be in the safe, and some airlines do not allow bulk-pack ammo. Ammo must be in factory boxes with the plastic grid which holds each round individually.

And when you get to your destination, you go to the airline counter to retrieve your bag, it should not come out on the baggage turnstile; keep an eye on the baggage turnstile, my bag came out there once.

Thanks all, again this would be more for in car security, in cases I could not concealed carry outside the car.  Threading the cable through the metal works of the vehicle seat, or a frame rail if you can get to it is the std method of securing it.  I like that it can very easily be dropped into a sling bag which is different than most of the small strong box type safes.

John the last time I flew with firearms the regs were that the bag had to be locked with a TSA compliant lock ie one they could get into, no specific guidelines about the actual gun case, ammo in factory "type" box and the contents declared at check in and as you say picked up from someone at the baggage office for the carrier.  From what I understand the key lock on this unit is also TSA good-to-go.

This is all much different than my first air travel with a rifle when I was about 12.  Carried that 22 rifle on board in the soft case; flight attendant called up one of the flight crew who came back and asked me to give him the bolt after which the case went into the hanging bag area! Boston to DC and when we landed I reported to the cockpit where he gave me the bolt back.  Talk about a different day and age.

@Iron Pony

Though I despise these buttheads that make these videos then post them online they are helpful in selecting the safes least likely to be easily broken into. 

Check this out:

I originally thought this was supposed to be some kind of super airline luggage.  Now I see it is a portable safe.  So I now know what it is for.  Just don't know if I would ever need one.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Iron Pony

Though I despise these buttheads that make these videos then post them online they are helpful in selecting the safes least likely to be easily broken into. 

Check this out:

The company that makes this safe saw this and similar videos and immediately redesigned it to prevent this from happening on all their new production. The change was done in early 2020 I believe.  The have also come out with a fix to all the ones currently on the street.

https://vaulteksafe.com/support/lifepod/lifepod-support-response/

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The company that makes this safe saw this and similar videos and immediately redesigned it to prevent this from happening on all their new production. The change was done in early 2020 I believe.  The have also come out with a fix to all the ones currently on the street.

https://vaulteksafe.com/support/lifepod/lifepod-support-response/

That is good to know. Thanks. 

Thanks for that info Dave, I like that they point out the author of the "how to" video was a security expert.  Reminds me of the videos about opening, IIRC, masterlock padlocks by rapping on them in a certain way.  Only person I ever knew to reproduce that trick was a locksmith.

Again my primary interest is being to able to take my IWB holster off and stash it someplace in my car more secure then the center console.  That it can be slipped into my sling bag is an added plus.  If the 2.0 can hold a 1911 in a Summer Special along with a Safari Land paddle type single magazine carrier thats all I'd ask on a daily basis.

Yes it could be stolen and forced open, after a thief 1. breaks into my car. 2. finds it. 3. cuts a braided steel cable or removes the seat from my car.   I dont leave my car unlocked and see the cable like a kensington lock on computer equipment at work.  Hell there was a crew working up here that stole safes from businesses, big heavy commercial type safes, which would later be found in a remote location "peeled".  

The idea with the life pod is to deter the loss of a firearm in a smash and grab scenario. Not to prevent an attack carried out without the threat of being noticed.  Looks to me like it will do the intended job nicely.

The best safes / vaults  are only rated to withstand a professional for 60 minutes. These are what bank and jewlery stores use. The idea is to deter a thief long enough for their activity to be noticed. That is why in addition to a safe there is an alarm system. 

99.9% of all  home gun safes are Residential Security Containers and will only deter a competent thief at most 5 minutes.

Dave we are on the same wavelength here.  Just about anything can be made off with and I'm looking to make it slow and inconvenient to do so.   While I was at the college we, along with a bunch of other locations in NH and MA, had a series of car breaks.  These normally took place in large commercial or residential lots.  Thieves would go thru checking for unlocked cars; if the doors were locked they were on to the next car.  If unlocked they would grab anything of value e.g. money, electronics etc and give the glove box and center console a quick look for goodies.  Average time in a vehicle was about 45 seconds.  Through video and our officer response were able to assist local LEOs get some of the kids who were doing it.  The message we pit out to students was A. lock your damn car B. dont leave valuable in the car if you can help it and C. call us if you see anything suspicious.

In any respect I've ordered one, along with an extra security cable so I can have in each vehicle and will report back on the item.

19 minutes ago, Iron Pony said:

The message we pit out to students was A. lock your damn car B. dont leave valuable in the car if you can help it

Sometimes kids are just - brain damaged?

I took my daughter somewhere one time. She was in her early twenties. We get out of the truck and I noticed she left her purse on the floorboards. I commented on that and she told me not to worry - there was nothing in there were stealing.

I told her the punk that was going to break my truck window to get it didn't know that.

• Iron Pony changed the title to Vaultek LifePod, you using one? Update, with photo

Archived