SASS Wire Forum

Type 2 RichConv 5.5" barrel; 38 Spl cartridges moving in the chambers

Paper Chaser

Howdy, well after a long wait finally acquired the R-M type 2 with 5.5" barrel as a partner for the 8" one.

"Big Brother" 8-inch shoots the .44 Colt ammo forever :D

Now, however the "Little Brother" has a real issue:

whether I use .38 special or .38 long colt ammo IF the barrel is not horizontal the cylinder will NOT turn!! :excl:

and if you tilt the barrel more than 5-7 degrees UP the cylinder is frozen.  If, however, you point the barrel down

below horizontal and then cock the hammer and then return to horizontal if shoots.

You can actually see and hear the cartridges sliding in the chambers..  Awful.

So, is there any way to correct this?  I've talked with Cimarron and they said never heard of the issue but will research.

7 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

What happens when no ammo is chambered?

Goody, the weapon cycles just fine; even with the barrel pointing straight UP (90 degrees); or down.

A real mystery is why the .38 special snap caps never hang or stop the rotation. :wacko:

52 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Take off the cylinder and check to see if there is a ridge where the loading gate screws into the frame.  If it is not tight and flush, rims can catch that ridge.

Abilene, tried but no joy.  Cimarron called and suggested the procedure

Now, my experiment was:

1.  one empty case loaded in the cylinder at one o'clock

2.  cock and "fire" with weapon point straight UP. 

3.  "fired" smooth as glass UNTIL the single cartridge was at the eleven o'clock position --- Bingo -- NO JOY..

4.  rotated barrel down and back to horizontal, 

5.  cocked and fired without incident.

HELP !!!

P.S. Cimarron will send an RA label for me to ship weapon to their gunsmiths.  6 to 8 week turnaround.:wacko:

Said okay but not till Monday 'cause I'm gonna shoot this thing in a match this weekend. 

I would strongly suggest you NOT run the gun this weekend.  Cimarron may well object to warranty work if you are firing an "unserviceable" example.  Just bite the bullet and ship it back.

I have a pair of these and mine did a similar scenario. The round next to go to the fire position, the 11 o'clock that you refer to, the next round to fire, was catching on the "ramp" that closes the headspace as it moves into position. I polished this area for a smooth transition and the problem was fixed. I should have sent them back though after reading this, however I like to mess with my own. Maybe this is the problem. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I would strongly suggest you NOT run the gun this weekend.  Cimarron may well object to warranty work if you are firing an "unserviceable" example.  Just bite the bullet and ship it back.

Coffinmaker, you are absolutely correct.  I did bit of re-thinking about it and decided to just go ahead and send it back.

Also, talked to my FFL and the second one he ordered is doing the same thing so he's going to contact Cimarron and send it back also.

Oh well, I've waited this long what's another few MONTHS:angry:

But the Big Brother still shoots so off we go.  Guess I'll shoot the #3 Russian instead of the baby R-M.

A problem on many of the current production conversions is the transition from the open area around the back of the cylinder to the area on the recoil shield around the firing pin that sets headspace.  On many Ubertis this is a 90 degree cut and the rims can get hung up on this ridge.  It should be a smooth ramp like shown on the Ruger in the second photo.  Polishing this 90 cut to remove the sharp edge is the fix.  Also as I note earlier until the arbor is fitted to the barrel you will never get long term reliablity.

DSC_0087.jpeg

620205301_DSC_00022.jpeg

Yep, like Larsen said. Mine were the same, but he explained it better, perfectly.

It's a new pistol send it back and hopefully it's taken care of.

However my RM's in .38 needed the arbor lengthened as Larson pointed out. They also over rotate when cocked fast, grease on the arbor fixed that. They are awesome guns, and fun to shoot.  

Archived