Hunting License - Sticker Shock

Boy, am I bummed.  :(

Just looked up the cost of this year's California hunting license:

Resident Hunting License:  $ 52.66

Deer Tag #1                          $ 34.56

Deer Tag #2                         $ 43.20

Upland Bird "Stamp"            $ 10.54

Total                                      $140.96

Last year, much of the state was closed to hunting due to widespread and largely uncontrolled fires.  Many deer tags were sold that could not be used; unfortunately, state law forbids refunds.

To add to that, in this state you are required to report not only a successfully filled tag, but also unfilled tags - even if you were unable to hunt.  Failure to do so will result in a fine.  There was a time when the state would simply subtract the number of confirmed tags from the number of tags sold and arrive at a number.  I reckon that was too simple.  <_<

Missouri Deer firearm $17 One antlered or 1 antlerless or 2 antlerless but no antlered deer

Firearm antlerless $7 (Some counties as many as you can get for $7 each)

Archer's $19 

• Deer: Two deer of either sex, but only one antlered deer may be taken before November 16.
  • Turkeys: Two turkeys of either sex.

Archer's antlerless $7 (Take as many as you can get for $7 each)

By waiting one more day (turning 65) my OK lifetime hunting and fishing license dropped from $800 to &25.  That includes 5 deer, two turkey, trapping, and any other hunting/fishing activity every year as long as I live.  I’ve used it for one deer and a couple of dove in six years.

2 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

By waiting one more day (turning 65) my OK lifetime hunting and fishing license dropped from $800 to &25.  That includes 5 deer, two turkey, trapping, and any other hunting/fishing activity every year as long as I live.  I’ve used it for one deer and a couple of dove in six years.

&25 = 725?

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Failure to do so will result in a fine.                 

Revenue enforcement...

Sheesh!

Gee... we must be LUCKY in California!  Our lifetime hunting license goes down at age 62!!  Uh... from $853 to $579.25.

BUT!

For Christmas twenty years ago I gave Sassparilla Kid a Lifetime License ~ I bought it for him the day before he turned 10 a month before, for something in the low $300 range.  The "under 10" option is no longer available;  now at age ten it can be had for $946.75. 

One of the smarter things I've done - he's set!  ^_^

Actually, I'm not shocked by that price list.

Last time I hunted birds in the lower Yakima  Valley, it would cost. Hunting license, Fed duck stamp, state duck stamp, upland bird permit, Yakima Indian Reservation license. It would add up.

Can't remember the $, but they'd be much higher now.

In the days when I'd get out all season, it was worth it. Nowadays, to join somebody for a single geezer outing, it's an obstacle....

41 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Actually, I'm not shocked by that price list.

Last time I hunted birds in the lower Yakima  Valley, it would cost. Hunting license, Fed duck stamp, state duck stamp, upland bird permit, Yakima Indian Reservation license. It would add up.

Can't remember the $, but they'd be much higher now.

In the days when I'd get out all season, it was worth it. Nowadays, to join somebody for a single geezer outing, it's an obstacle....

No license required for duck or turkey at the grocery store, but damn! Folks scatter when you let go of just one round of bird shot in the frozen section.

I bet you Californios wouldn't complain so much if you could put politicians on your hunting lists!

18 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I bet you Californios wouldn't complain so much if you could put politicians on your hunting lists!

Yeah, but sh…stuff splatters! :D

When I left California in 2013 I vowed never to give the DFG another dime of my money if I came back. 

Long story short:

For years living in SoCal I bought a deer hunting license and always selected 2 really good zones and for my third choice I picked Zone X, one of the worst for getting a deer but it was near home. 
Every year I got Zone X. It was the luck of the draw…they said. 
I left CA in December of 2004. 
In 2010 I returned to the Sacramento area.  I missed the 2010 season so I tried again in 2011. I bought my deer license and since I lived fairly close to some of the best deer hunting in CA I made 3 choices. The 3 best zones for getting a deer in CA.

I received my license and those….”people” gave me Zone X! 

I called them and when I finally got to talk to someone I was told that I got Zone X because I picked it so many times before. :angry:

Boy was I mad. Anyway the guy I talked to apologized “for the confusion, but there’s nothing we can do this year. Perhaps next year make sure and put a note that you do not want Zone X.”

So, like a dummy I tried again in 2012 and lo and behold those dirty rotten sons-of-….. They gave me Zone X again. 
I am pretty sure someone thought it was funny. 
I made several calls until I got to speak to a bureaucrat that was in charge of other minion bureaucrats and voiced my displeasure with their Zone selections. He informed me how the process was conducted, which I knew already. 
Anyway, I explained how much money I had spent on hunting and fishing licenses over the years and how much money I spent supporting small businesses with the purchases of hunting and fishing gear and then told him it would be a cold day in hell if I ever did that again in this state and hung up. 

What is sad is the brain trust cancer that is the CA DFG has infected other states, like Oregon. 

I won’t buy another hunting or fishing license until I get to somewhere where DFG’s aren’t run by people like this:

image.jpeg.17fddc124f0452971ba951eb9abe99b5.jpeg

Texas

The Disabled Veteran Super Combo Package includes a hunting and fishing license and five state endorsements. The package includes:

• Resident hunting license
  • Resident fishing license
  • Archery endorsement
  • Freshwater fishing endorsement
  • Saltwater fishing endorsement with a red drum tag
  • Upland game bird endorsement
  • Migratory game bird endorsement

Not Included: The Federal Duck Stamp is NOT included, but is required for waterfowl hunting.

FREE

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Texas

The Disabled Veteran Super Combo Package includes a hunting and fishing license and five state endorsements. The package includes:

• Resident hunting license
  • Resident fishing license
  • Archery endorsement
  • Freshwater fishing endorsement
  • Saltwater fishing endorsement with a red drum tag
  • Upland game bird endorsement
  • Migratory game bird endorsement

Not Included: The Federal Duck Stamp is NOT included, but is required for waterfowl hunting.

FREE

What 5 states besides Texas are the endorsements for?

Half-Breed Pete and I were reminiscing today about the days when we had Zone A ("Coastal") and Zone B ("Inland"), plus an X zone or two 'way up in Northern California.  If you bought two tags you could hunt most of the state.

We now have something like 55 - 60 zones.  Some will sell out; some require a lottery-type drawing with "special points" to increase your odds.  Sorta.

But the absurd thing is, when they came out with this mess, they had the audacity to proclaim "Hunters!  You now have MORE CHOICES!!"

Evidently they think we're all idiots.  <_<

Archived