SASS Wire Forum

Spotter question

Leadspittinlefty

8 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmmm....I thought gunfighter HAD to had to alternate pistols.

Seeeeeeeee....we should talk next time we meet, and discuss!

Nope...  can mix it up any way they feel like it.   Sometimes to save transition time I'll shoot two or three shots out of one gun while the other is putting down a long gun and drawing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

Nope...  can mix it up any way they feel like it.   Sometimes to save transition time I'll shoot two or three shots out of one gun while the other is putting down a long gun and drawing.

You can get two or three shots out of one pistol with one hand while you're putting down a long gun? :o Please either teach me how to do that or never EVER switch to Duelist. :(

Just now, Shooting Bull said:

You can get two or three shots out of one pistol with one hand while you're putting down a long gun? :o Please either teach me how to do that or never EVER switch to Duelist. :(

I've seen TN Williams shoulder his rifle as he was finishing his left hand revolver; just takes a LOT of practice. 

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

I've seen TN Williams shoulder his rifle as he was finishing his left hand revolver; just takes a LOT of practice. 

Now THAT I can do.  Just not the other way around. 

Ah, now I see the problem.  That dreaded "P" word. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Yes. 

We should find a match we can shoot together.   

22 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

One time I love this transition is when you shoot long gun at point A, have to take it with you to shoot pistols at point B.

You have long gun in one hand, pull pistol with the other, and crack off a couple shots as you drop off the long gun and draw the other pistol.

17 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

One time I love this transition is when you shoot long gun at point A, have to take it with you to shoot pistols at point B.

You have long gun in one hand, pull pistol with the other, and crack off a couple shots as you drop off the long gun and draw the other pistol.

YEP, thats a good technique.  A good duelist might not even

lay the rifle or SG down (restage) if its his last pistol, ASSUMING

the scenario says "Make rifle & SG SAFE".

..........Widder

HEY BULL,

I'm glad you brought up the EDGER topic.   It needed to be

discussed in this thread and I think it has now had a good

chance to be clarified and hopefully the GOOD spotters

will know its something to consider in their duties.

..........Widder

We have RO1 and RO11 classes which are very good.  How about "How To Spot" classes?  Has any club tried this?  Unfortunately none of the clubs I have ever belonged to and tried to get them to start has done it.  After 25 years of Spotting, Timer Operating, Posse Marshaling, Picking Brass, Watching the Unloading Table, etc. I have developed my way of trying to be respectful to shooters when I call misses.  If another spotter or TO says they saw an edger I will agree to look at it.  If "I did not see a miss, I will not call a miss."  

Usually I will tell the shooter if they are unhappy with my call, "But you impacted the berm safely."

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I can't stress strongly enough here how important it is that folks consider a single spotter's observation of an edge hit. If that observed "edge" hit was on a target that was called a miss by two other spotters, those two spotters really should change their call.

Actually, that's what I would do (hadn't happened to me yet). BUT, because I know and TRUST everybody I am shooting and spotting with (very small CAS community over here...).

And of course, you should always reconsider your call if there's further information available. Especially, if someone can point out a plausible mark on a quite freshly painted target there's kind of evidence or indication at least, so just revise your call. 

But without a mark, it still looks like a challenging situation for me: If a spotter calls a miss there's per definition no doubt in his view; if there was the slightest doubt about the miss then he must call it a hit in the first place (in a perfect world...)

But one can always argue that there was a very very light edger, so you can never be 100% sure it was a miss..

If you and one other spotter called a miss and one saw an edger (and TO looked at guns and timer), does it make a difference if you know that spotter? Should it make a difference? Like I said before, at the end it's "only" trust.

I know, "GOOD LORD!!" :D

Equanimous Phil

At a match once, shooting Cody-Dixon,(rifle caliber at 50-75yd or so targets )

1 spotter says clean

1 spotter says 1 miss 

1 spotter says maybe a miss, probably a miss, but I’m not sure. 
TO thought there was a miss. After polling spotters, he said “ not sure what the call is”. I replied “I know, it’s clean”! He was a little taken aback. 

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

At a match once, shooting Cody-Dixon,(rifle caliber at 50-75yd or so targets )

1 spotter says clean

1 spotter says 1 miss 

1 spotter says maybe a miss, probably a miss, but I’m not sure. 
TO thought there was a miss. After polling spotters, he said “ not sure what the call is”. I replied “I know, it’s clean”! He was a little taken aback. 

Replace T.O. and send him/her to a refresher course...

<_<

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Replace T.O. and send him/her to a refresher course...

<_<

Spotter also needs to be informed that ANY DOUBT on a miss

is suppose to be a HIT, no questions ask.

..........Widder

27 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Spotter also needs to be informed that ANY DOUBT on a miss

is suppose to be a HIT, no questions ask.

..........Widder

The Spotters aren't paid enough for me to reprimand them...

:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The Spotters aren't paid enough for me to reprimand them...

:rolleyes:

It IS best to collect BEFORE they shoot......

Archived