SASS Wire Forum

Spotter question

Leadspittinlefty

I want to be the best spotter money can buy! So I call a miss, is it required if shooter wants to know 1st or 2nd revolver, rifle and the exact target.

Or is ( the target you did not hit) detailed enough ?

Thanks for your opinion!!

Leadspittin Lefty

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put your hand behind you.  Watch the targets, not the shooters hands.  When you see a miss, raise a finger.  Another miss, another finger.  When done show the fingers to the TO.  You are not responsible for what the shooter did, only count the misses you know for sure.   If you can say it was the third shot on the second pistol, that's great, but it's not your job.  

For procedurals you need to state what you saw, such as the shooter started on the wrong target, or engaged a target with too many shots.   Just tell the TO what you saw.  He/she will make the call using your input.  If you're not sure, just say that.   

12 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

Put your hand behind you.  Watch the targets, not the shooters hands.  When you see a miss, raise a finger.  Another miss, another finger.  When done show the fingers to the TO.  You are not responsible for what the shooter did, only count the misses you know for sure.   If you can say it was the third shot on the second pistol, that's great, but it's not your job.  

For procedurals you need to state what you saw, such as the shooter started on the wrong target, or engaged a target with too many shots.   Just tell the TO what you saw.  He/she will make the call using your input.  If you're not sure, just say that.   

Thank You !!

Want to be the best?

1: Do NOT hold your fingers out for the world to see as you are counting...that just influences other spotters...that might not care if they are the best spotter in the world.

2. Stay close to the shooter as they move through the stage.

3. If you go "Hmmmm" regarding a shot...it's a HIT.

4. Don't look around when giving your count to the T.O. 

5. Follow the firearm up for the first shot on "Shooter's Choice" sequences.

6. If you can give the shooter feedback when asked, do so. Some shooters just want to know for their own understanding of where they went wrong. That said, it's not a requirement. If you say a Pistol, and another says a Rifle miss...if the shooter argues, just say "well it could have been two misses...a Pistol and a Rifle. Consider yourself lucky!

7. Please never say "I heard a miss"...you'll never be considered a World Class Spotter if you do.

Phantom

PLUS ONE for Phantom . . . . Except

When you're spotting for BP shooters, move off to the side a bit.  You can't see thru the smoke any better than they can.

You're not there to create a spread sheet of which gun, which target, the shooter missed.  Just to call what you see.  Some feel if you can't call which gun or which target, you obviously wrong.  WRONG.  Trust me.  The shooter knows what they missed.

Do NOT negotiate misses with other spotters.  Tell the TO what YOU know for sure YOU saw.  Other spotters are using different eyes from different angles so what they saw means nothing to you and what you saw should mean nothing to them. 

( You may see this "rule" broken when someone sees an edge hit and points it out to the other spotters.  I'm not going to give an opinion about that.) 

27 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Want to be the best?

1: Do NOT hold your fingers out for the world to see as you are counting...that just influences other spotters...that might not care if they are the best spotter in the world.

2. Stay close to the shooter as they move through the stage.

3. If you go "Hmmmm" regarding a shot...it's a HIT.

4. Don't look around when giving your count to the T.O. 

5. Follow the firearm up for the first shot on "Shooter's Choice" sequences.

6. If you can give the shooter feedback when asked, do so. Some shooters just want to know for their own understanding of where they went wrong. That said, it's not a requirement. If you say a Pistol, and another says a Rifle miss...if the shooter argues, just say "well it could have been two misses...a Pistol and a Rifle. Consider yourself lucky!

7. Please never say "I heard a miss"...you'll never be considered a World Class Spotter if you do.

Phantom

Very good advice! Thanks Phantom!!

5 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Do NOT negotiate misses with other spotters.  Tell the TO what YOU know for sure YOU saw.  Other spotters are using different eyes from different angles so what they saw means nothing to you and what you saw should mean nothing to them. 

( You may see this "rule" broken when someone sees an edge hit and points it out to the other spotters.  I'm not going to give an opinion about that.) 

Thank you Bull!

8 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Phantom . . . . Except

When you're spotting for BP shooters, move off to the side a bit.  You can't see thru the smoke any better than they can.

You're not there to create a spread sheet of which gun, which target, the shooter missed.  Just to call what you see.  Some feel if you can't call which gun or which target, you obviously wrong.  WRONG.  Trust me.  The shooter knows what they missed.

Good to here no spread sheet needed, Thanks CC !

The above^^^^
as a TO if you tell me you “think” there was a miss it is now a hit.

I want to see your count (fingers) and your face, if you are watching other spotters it makes me wonder.

When I call for you to be ready, please focus on the shooter not your conversation. 
please give me your count before you head off for other chores or to get ready yourself so I can poll all three, resolve differences and prepare for the next shooter. 
not a hard job but a very important one 

Gateway Kid

Get a different perspective than the other spotters.  Three spotters shouldn’t be shoulder to shoulder watching, move to a different angle than the others and watch the targets don’t just listen to them. 

Look, don't listen. You are a SPOTTER, not a HEARER.

make sure you are in position to see EVERY target...bob and weave if necessary.

Call what you see.

If not sure, it is a hit.

For a slower shooter you will be able to specify where and when...a 14.0 sec shooter, forget it.

Those who 'question' on a regular basis can cause a person not want to spot...

Just do your best to spot like it was YOU, yourself being spotted for.;)

Thank you for stepping up and doing a serious job.

As others said, try not to show fingers where other easily influenced spotters might see them. Call what YOU SAW. Not what others saw. If you have to think twice “was that a miss?” Then nope, it’s a hit. 
mic you call a miss, and another spotter points out the edge hit, (assuming it’s the target you had a miss on) then go with the hit. I can be talked into a hit, but never on a miss. If I saw the edger, that’s going to remain my call. 

for TOs, if spotters miss a miss, dont say “Merry Christmas “ to shooter. If spotters not doing job, rotate them out, but don’t embarrass them. There are a couple of TOs that I dont care to count for because of this. 

in the end, do your honest best. That’s all that is asked. 

14 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Call what you see.

For a slower shooter you will be able to specify where and when...a 14.0 sec shooter, forget it.

Yes I have one shooter that will not spot for at any price!! as he is just plain nasty to anyone who calls a miss !! Thanks Sue!

Call what you see and KNOW.

BUT, be ready and willing to accept the possibility of an 'edger', should it be

presented to you.   Evaluate what you saw and where you where standing

when you witnessed the miss.

EDIT:  it takes a lot of money to buy the best spotters.   Bad spotters are

cheaper and sometimes easier to purchase.  :lol:

..........Widder

Just now, Leadspittinlefty said:

Yes very sad, I will not posse with him as well, as he is also a big crybaby!!!

That is the good thing. We have choices!

We have actually said if we absolutely have to posee with a certain someone, we would be going home, as we felt he was extremely unsafe, in every aspect.

Luckily, he has stopped shooting!

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

But...again, I have led the thread off topic!

Spotters, give your best, concentrate, report what YOU see, and make your call. TO will use that to determine his/her job.

DUTY...not job.

We are none of us being paid.

(And if so, I want backpay!!)

Lefty you do a good job. Ive always seen you trying.    Have you missed things?  Yes, but everybody does.  That's why we have 3 spotters.   Nobody sees them all. 

You know what bad spotters are, unfortunately there are several regulars at gcg. Generally the ones spotting from the back of the crowd or  facing the opposite direction running thier mouth. 

Too many think spotting is not really important.    Its vital to have people who care.  Who are trying to do the best possible.   

A good spotter will analyze the stage as much as the shooter.   Knows where the blind spots are,  knows which targets may not ring as well as other's or may need special attention for a different reason. 

There is nothing worse than failing to achieve your goal as a shooter due to a bad spotter.   Knowing you shot fast and clean only to turn and see spotters looking around trying to see what everybody else has.  

Lastly the key to a great spotter is to know your limits.    If you can't keep up with fast shooters. Pass off before they get there.   If your tired or losing focus, stop.   There is no shame in it. If you can only give your all as a spotter for a couple.  Then stop  after a couple.   There are other chores on a posse that need to be done until you  are up for more.

18 minutes ago, Leadspittinlefty said:

Hey now... no need to call me names.     

Unfortunately he is known all over for those actions and many refuse to posse with him

17 minutes ago, Leadspittinlefty said:

I don't believe we have yet shot together and I resent my reputation being besmirched in this way.

And furthermore, I....  (what?  why are you interrupting; I am on a roll here.  really?  other crybabies?  seriously?  might actually not be talking about me?  oops.)

Nevermind.  :D

38 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I don't believe we have yet shot together and I resent my reputation being besmirched in this way.

And furthermore, I....  (what?  why are you interrupting; I am on a roll here.  really?  other crybabies?  seriously?  might actually not be talking about me?  oops.)

Nevermind.  :D

Your reputation precedes you................................................................................And I may have helped it along. :P

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

Lefty you do a good job. Ive always seen you trying.    Have you missed things?  Yes, but everybody does.  That's why we have 3 spotters.   Nobody sees them all. 

You know what bad spotters are, unfortunately there are several regulars at gcg. Generally the ones spotting from the back of the crowd or  facing the opposite direction running thier mouth. 

Too many think spotting is not really important.    Its vital to have people who care.  Who are trying to do the best possible.   

A good spotter will analyze the stage as much as the shooter.   Knows where the blind spots are,  knows which targets may not ring as well as other's or may need special attention for a different reason. 

There is nothing worse than failing to achieve your goal as a shooter due to a bad spotter.   Knowing you shot fast and clean only to turn and see spotters looking around trying to see what everybody else has.  

Lastly the key to a great spotter is to know your limits.    If you can't keep up with fast shooters. Pass off before they get there.   If your tired or losing focus, stop.   There is no shame in it. If you can only give your all as a spotter for a couple.  Then stop  after a couple.   There are other chores on a posse that need to be done until you  are up for more.

Well spoken Evil. your time for speed clay launchers ( 3 launchers) well under 3 seconds, has to be a world record!!

Lots of BAD advice here!
You'll never get rich that way.  Be sure to talk to the shooter first and ask how much a clean stage is worth!  :D:D:D 

Well. . . .

Maybe not.  Some idiots may believe you!

4 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Call what you see.

As a BP shooter my self, LISTENING also, is a good idea.

I've had numerous "misses" called, that on replayed video, rang out loud and clear.

They didn't / couldn't see if it was a hit OR a miss.

Do I contest those? Of course not, that's just part of the BP game.

Having the gallery gagging is good enough;)

2 minutes ago, Knarley Bob said:

I've had numerous "misses" called, that on replayed video, rang out loud and clear.

They didn't couldn't see if it was a hit OR a miss.

Do I contest those? Of course not, that's just part of the game.

Having the gallery gagging is revenge enough;)

I don't think that's where she was coming from. 

Having folks call misses because they didn't hear a hit is poor spotting.

Having Spotters not pay attention is NOT part of this game.

Phantom

If I don't see the target move, don't hear a ding, and see dirt fly up.....I call that a miss.

If you are shooting at real dead targets, I could see your point. If you are not using all your senses, you aren't giving 100%.

I have called hits because I heard the target ring.....bad spotting too?

12 minutes ago, Knarley Bob said:

They didn't / couldn't see if it was a hit OR a miss.

Do I contest those? Of course not, that's just part of the BP game.

Having the gallery gagging is good enough;)

I disagree.

Many targets are 'dead', especially with bp. (I shoot full loaded .38 with APP)

"They couldn't/didn't see if it was a hit or a miss"...THEN IT WAS A HIT.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

YOU MUST KNOW IT IS A MISS, to call a miss.;)

4 minutes ago, Knarley Bob said:

If I don't see the target move, don't hear a ding, and see dirt fly up.....I call that a miss.

If you are shooting at real dead targets, I could see your point. If you are not using all your senses, you aren't giving 100%.

I have called hits because I heard the target ring.....bad spotting too?

Did I say that hearing a hit and calling it a hit is bad? I said not hearing a hit and calling it a miss is bad.

On the "seeing dirt fly up", my question would be "where did you see dirt fly up?

Phantom

Archived