SASS Wire Forum

enlarge opening on 73 carrier for over the top reloads

Currahee

The title of your thread indicates you do not have a basic understanding of what is needed for an over the top reload.  So don't mess with it or you will be buying a new carrier.

Visible external modifications not allowed, unless you can get them by the Modifications Committee.

Most folks wanting to do a from-the-top reload on toggle guns learn to set the cartridge on the carrier top and slide it in.

good luck, GJ

There is a little bit of material removal...but you are not enlarging the carrier opening.

I would suggest that you seek out someone locally that knows what they are doing...or just load through the Loading Gate.

Phantom

Also make sure the lifter is supporting the carrier properly when manually pushed down.  (Not bent either down or up,, thus preventing the carrier being manually pisitioned).  A bit too high or low will cause obvious problems in chambering over the top. 

PLUS ONE for Pettifogger and Phantom.

PLUS:  You don't need to remove any material for an "Over The Top" reload.

PLUS PLUS:  You may well find, shoving the round thru the loading gate is just as fast.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

You may well find, shoving the round thru the loading gate is just as fast.

Keep in mind that many shooters don't have the hand/forearm strength to hold up the gun while side loading through the gate, and how many have to use a tool to push rounds in, due to arthritic hands.   (too few hands unless rifle is laid down). 

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

So they have enough arm strength to hold the rifle up with one hand while they load over the top with the other?

Yes, they do. 

Ask any small frame Cowgirl.  A woman's forearm is structured differently to a man's, with more curvature.  That changes the gun holding leverage considerably.  

And if you have arthritis, pushing a round into the side gate one handed without a tool is quite painful.  But a loading tool cannot be used very easily one-handed, especially for folks with arthritis..  

Sorry.  I don't believe I have actually seen that circumstance.  And I have actually been to several Matches.

OOPS: DD Dave, did you happen to miss the part about not having to remove material for an "over the top" reload??  You are aware you DO have to let go with one hand even to load over the top??

46 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sorry.  I don't believe I have actually seen that circumstance.  And I have actually been to several Matches.

OOPS: DD Dave, did you happen to miss the part about not having to remove material for an "over the top" reload??  You are aware you DO have to let go with one hand even to load over the top??

Arguing seems to be the point of a lot of postings here, and it is why so many avoid reading the Wire.  I'd prefer not to engage you here.  I've known a number of woman shooters who simply could not side load against the magazine spring while trying to hold up the firearm.  Your experience may differ.  

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Yes, they do. 

Ask any small frame Cowgirl.  A woman's forearm is structured differently to a man's, with more curvature.  That changes the gun holding leverage considerably.  

And if you have arthritis, pushing a round into the side gate one handed without a tool is quite painful.  But a loading tool cannot be used very easily one-handed, especially for folks with arthritis..  

Let's assume that the shooter is right handed.

With left hand on forearm, lower muzzle ... bringing the elbow closer to the body all the while keeping the butt against the shoulder and tilting the receiver counterclockwise. Right hand grabs and loads one round. Done. 

Now it definitely help to reduce the spring tension on the loading gate. That's an easy mod.

Over the Top loading can be a Cluster*!@#!!!! and the hold on the rifle isn't going to be any better.

Phantom

A simple reload through the gate is accomplished by leaving the level closed after the last shot before the reload.

Push the reload round through the loading gate.

Lever the lever and your reload round will chambered.

What I see are shooters trying to load through the gate but they jack out the last round after firing it and then have to lever the rifle and extra time to get the reload in the chamber.

Over the top is an easy operation.

Lever the last round out.

Bring the lever back up to the stock but stop short of touching the stock.

Using the reload round push the carrier down and the round forward in to the chamber as the carrier passes the chamber opening.

Close the lever and fire.

(did I get that right?)

----------

On occasion I shoot my 1860 Henry and reloading over the top is preferred over loading over the long tube magazine.

I've tried all three ways.  Over the top with the right hand, loading gate with the left hand (my preference and also the only one where you're holding the rifle unsupported with one hand) and loading gate with the right hand.  I prefer keeping my right hand in the lever, but I think it's a matter of preference, any of the three ways can be very fast if you practice enough.

OTH, if it's a planned reload, and you can load the extra round anytime after the beep, then I'm shoving the round through the gate with my left hand as I'm picking the rifle up with my right hand. 

20 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

A simple reload through the gate is accomplished by leaving the level closed after the last short before the reload.

Push the reload round through the loading gate.

Lever the lever and you reoad round will chambered.

What I see are shooters trying to load through the gate but they jack out the last round after firing it and then have to lever the rifle and extra time to get the reload in the chamber.

Bring the lever back up to the stock but stock short of touching the stock.

Using the reload round push the carrier down and the round forward in to the chamber as the carrier passes the chamber opening.

(did I get that right?)

----------

On occasion I shoot my 1860 Henry and reloading over the top is preferred over loading over the long tube magazine.

At least you won't get "M-1 thumb" pushing the carrier down. :D

On 7/14/2021 at 3:39 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Bring the lever back up to the stock but stock short of touching the stock.

(did I get that right?)

No.

If you bring the lever back anywhere near the stock, the bolt will be closed or nearly so, preventing you pressing the carrier down.  A top reload has to be done with the lever wide open and bolt fully retracted.   

Done properly:

1. Lever forward-- bolt fully retracted

2. Place round on top of carrier

3. Press round and carrier down

4. Close lever to chamber round

5. Aim rifle and fire round.

It is fast, clean, doesn't waste any motion (can be done at the shoulder with practice) and it  doesn't risk the mag spring causing a fumble at the loading gate.   

Archived