SASS Wire Forum

What's your projectile weight for your .38's?

Buckshot Bear

On 7/13/2021 at 6:00 AM, MBFields said:

127gr rnfp badman with no crimp groove.

I use those too. Awesome bullet. If you weigh them though they are really 130grns. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using some 105's, 110's, and 125's. When the 105's are gone there won't be any more. Been casting Lee 125 rnfp to use and will stick with that weight when buying from a supplier. I guess I'm not seeing a difference in recoil enough to be keeping both on hand.

I've been using the poly coated 105's  for 5+ years  loaded @ 900-1000 FPS for rifle and @ 700 in Short colt brass for revolver.  They work very well, spotters can tell when you hit a target at that speed.   I use 125 Fireball bullets for knockdown targets moving slightly faster than the poly 105's 

The 105's are cheaper than the heavier bullets.

3GC

I got lucky with my Rossi, it seems fine with my Lee 125 RF, and Lee 158 2R in both magnum and special length.  Plan to try the Lee 200 RF GC for hunting this fall.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:30 PM, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Just FYI. I normally shoot rnfp in my Marlin 44 mag. I got some of the 240 gr. SWC coated bullets to load some Skeeter Skelton type loads for my Ruger flat top 44 special. I decided to try loading some hotter 44 mag loads for the Marlin. I wasn't sure how they'd cycle but they ran very smoothly through the Marlin.

I also have a .44 Marlin and, yes, the 240 SWC runs well though it.

Archived