SASS Wire Forum

Bench Rests...

So ~ favorite bench rests? 

From sandbags to folded jacket to home-made mechanical rests, or sophisticated "store bought" gear?  :)

I don't expect to have anyone shooting back at me when zeroing a new rifle scope on a private target range....  B)

I cut an eight inch long 2X4 in half, with a 45Degree angle cut.  I then screw these two pieces to a 12 inch long 4X4, leaving about two inches between the beveled ends.  I use a sand bag on this for a front rest, and another sand bag under the butt stock.  The front can be elevated if needed by sliding another 2X4 under it, or suing another sand bag.

Duffield

Get a cardboard box. Cut a rectangular notch in back and a v notch in the front. The stock fits in rear notch and rifle barrel in front. 

You can bore sight a scope in this and then paper. It's not going to hold up for a full range session. But it'll get a scope sighted in.

I picked up a scissor jack from a newer car. Screwed the jack onto a wooden base them mounted a small owl ear bag on top. adjustment ranges from 5 inches to about 16.   Stores in a box with a couple of sand bags.  Cheap , easy and adjustable         GW

I was going to suggest a fancy steel bench in the park that's just right for naps and watching people...but I won't.  

I shoot over a rolled up Army blanket held with zip ties.  Comes up to about eight inches in diameter, a foot or a bit less in length, is easy to carry, and solid enough for my purposes.

I had made one that looked a bit like a boot jack.  2 x 8 base maybe a foot long, a piece of 1 x 6 pine about 12 inches tall with a deep notch cut into it mounted about an inch from one end (lined the notch with leather), and a long gusset of 1 x 6 pine.  I think I also used a few sheet metal corner brackets.

A length of rolled up outdoor carpet tied with cord has served well for years.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That - and the Rock BR - are pretty cool.  :)

Have you or (or anyone else here) used their "Lead Sled?"  There seem to be multiple iterations of it...  

Just now, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Have you or (or anyone else here) used their "Lead Sled?"  There seem to be multiple iterations of it...  

Not impressed at all with those 'lead-sled' things!

OLG 

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

yes , i use a similar one to whal OLG posted and i have the lead sled , both work very well 

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I have seen them crack wood stocks on heavy recoiling guns , especially if the stock has allot of figure in the wrist area . There’s no give in the set up , so something has to 

Howdy,

Hornady made a sort of triangle red plastic rest called Delta Rest.

Large opening in one end to fill with whatever you like.

Gold coins would be best.

Add a protector leather bag of your choice. owl ear works.

A couple shoe laces ties the two together.

When a change of height is needed just slide the leather bag 

around the Hornady rest.

I filled the leather bag with crushed 22 shells. Fired first.

Hornady stopped production but ebay has em cheep.

Now for the bench part....

get a folding table leg set and attach a piece of plywood.

Get a couple lengths of pipe that will fit around the table legs.

Drill the pipe so a few bolts can secure the pipe and level the table.

If you cut the plywood the right size it can fit in your trunk or pickup bed.

About 24 by 42 inches is good but you may like longer or shorter whatever.

Any sort of seat will work but an office chair with adjustments is great.

Those fancy metal rests with all sorts of adjustments is fine until one of

those little bits of critical metal comes up missing.

Best

CR

The best thing I have found for bench shooting was by accident. I forgot my Hornady gun box with rifle rest. 

I use a backpack with some towels. One towel folded up at the rear to rest the butt on when not shooting and other towels to stuff into the backpack (day pack) if it’s not high enough. 

On 7/12/2021 at 6:43 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

bed rails on the pick up , just throw your jacket of em 

hood does a fine job as well 

CB 

A friend tried to sight in a new scope over the bed rails of his pickup.  The first 3 rounds did not show on the tatget.  Mystery solved when he noticed the 3 holes in the other side of the pickup bed.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

bed rails on the pick up , just throw your jacket of em 

hood does a fine job as well 

CB 

31 minutes ago, Noz said:

A friend tried to sight in a new scope over the bed rails of his pickup.  The first 3 rounds did not show on the tatget.  Mystery solved when he noticed the 3 holes in the other side of the pickup bed.

A friend of mine did the same thing with the hood of his truck. He sent me a picture in the mail of it. I never let him live it down.

So far at the bench rests go, I'm cheap....rolled up scrap carpet or beach towel. 

Just happens Midsouth Shooters has the Caldwell Rock Jr on sale for under $40 with a filled owl ear bag.     Should be good  Looks just like my old Hoppe's I bought 50 years ago      GW

On 7/14/2021 at 8:05 AM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

well it helps to look where the nuzzle is pointed , I know of more then one case where folks forgot to do that in real life 

so far , I have not had that happen to me , 

CB 

The fella I saw shoot a hole in the bed rail had those new fangled look through scope mounts. With the scope set up that high you don't see the other side of the bed in your scope.

Was funny as heck at the time, but later on I did fell sorry for him as the truck wasn't even a month old when he did it and his wife was really not going to be happy.

I saw a guy skim the hood of his truck a couple of times with an AR-15. The hood had a hump. He forget about the scope being mounted high over the barrel. :blink:

Before I realized what he was about to do he fired two rounds. 

Nice truck…odd pin stripes. :lol:

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw a guy skim the hood of his truck a couple of times with an AR-15. The hood had a hump. He forget about the scope being mounted high over the barrel. :blink:

Before I realized what he was about to do he fired two rounds. 

Nice truck…odd pin stripes. :lol:

Those stripes are for when he's power drifting through a sharp corner, don't cha' know!

I would suggest if it is to be a hunting rifle that you zero it with a descent bipod (Harris)If you plan to shoot off a bench (target rifle) use a descent front rest like a Sinclair. If you plan to shoot it prone definitely zero it off a bipod. It does no good to zero the rifle on something like a lead sled as the rifle will move differently in recoil off the shoulder.

Crossed sticks. Leather covered where the rifle rests on it. three inch spikes for feet. Off a bench I prefer bags. There's plenty out there of different types. Sand filled are more stable. Poly beads are easier to carry. My favorite rest for the rear of the stock is one I made out of a couple of GI socks and poly beads. Squeeze it to raise the toe and the barrel goes down and vice versa. Came in very handy when I rolled out of the squad car and ended up holding a perimeter from a fixed position. A solid bagged in firearm eliminates most of the shooter  induced error.

Archived