SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Lighting firing pin not retracting

Bearfoot Tracker

This may have been discussed before, but I could not find it.

My wife's Cimarron Lightning firing pin has had issues since the day I bought it. Out of the box, the firing pin was flat with sharp edges causing it to stick in the primer once fired and locking up the cylinder. I had the firing pin smithed by someone to put a nice rounded cone on the end. It shot good for a short while, and now the pin is not completely retracting when pulling the hammer back causing the cylinder to lock up. I can bump the gun slightly on the handle butt, and it will then fall in place where I can rotate the cylinder again.

Is this a firing pin spring issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Who makes the Cimarron?

What caliber is it?   If it's a .45, my first go to answer would be to give it a good cleaning.

Others with more knowledge will soon chime in, I hope.

The Lightning is made by Uberti, and it is .38 Spl.

Gave it a good cleaning .... did not solve the problem.

I am not personally familiar with the Uberti version, so I can't offer an concrete thoughts.   I'd assume the .38's have similar issues to .45's with blowback on the straight walled case.  You say you cleaned it.   I have found with my AWA .45's that blowback gunk accumulates in the firing pin channel over time, and it will cause some binding.   Gunscrubber is your friend to flushing it out and keeping clean.  Beyond that, I can't offer anything else.

I believe since he speaks of locking the cylinder that he is not talking about a pump rifle, but the smaller frame single actions that Uberti makes. They have a spring loaded frame mounted FP. My guess would be to remove the firing pin assembly and clean all parts well. Check the spring while you have it apart.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25&cat=Uberti+1873+Stallion+and+Lightning

3 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I believe since he speaks of locking the cylinder that he is not talking about a pump rifle, but the smaller frame single actions that Uberti makes. They have a spring loaded frame mounted FP. My guess would be to remove the firing pin assembly and clean all parts well. Check the spring while you have it apart.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=25&cat=Uberti+1873+Stallion+and+Lightning

Goody, You are correct. With the hammer pulled back I can move the firing pin back and forth with ease and without any tension on it .... like there is not a spring in it at all. With the hammer at half cock, I can bump the gun toward the end of the barrel and see the firing pin protruding into the cylinder. I can then bump the gun toward the butt of the handle and the firing pin falls back into the frame. I don't know how hard it is to take that firing pin out (special tools etc.) but is sounds like that is what is needed.

Looking at the exploded view and seeing the parts as listed, it sorts of guides you on how to remove. There are several options listed for the parts, with differing dimensions. The firing pin bushing looks like it could be one of about 3 or 4 different styles.  You could call them and let them guide you through what you need. Or wait, there are some really smart people on here that I'm certain will be along to offer their advice. It sure sounds like the firing pin spring is the cause. 

Looking at the exploded view and seeing the parts as listed, it sorts of guides you on how to remove. There are several options listed for the parts, with differing dimensions. The firing pin bushing looks like it could be one of about 3 or 4 different styles.  You could call them and let them guide you through what you need. Or wait, there are some really smart people on here that I'm certain will be along to offer their advice. It sure sounds like the firing pin spring is the cause. 

I figured out what I need ..... a spanner screw driver (like the ones in security screwdriver sets). I will try to find one from local hardware store that will fit. I am starting to think that the firing pin spring is broke or missing altogether. I checked my wife's other gun (Model P Jr.) basically the same gun. With that gun and the hammer pulled all the way back, the firing pin has tension to it when you push it and returns back to position when you release it. Where as the problem gun does not have any tension to it and is just freely moving back and forth within the frame.

D'oh!

There are several different size Firing Pins (Strikers), Several different Bushings.  One spring.  Were I to take it apart, I would first take a micrometer to the OEM striker and inspect it for damage.  Next up, there is suppose to be a spring in there to "return" the firing pin to "rest."  On your gun, that isn't happening.  I would also forward a guess, whom ever worked on it for you, skipped or damaged the spring.  I'd bet on skipped (oops) 

1 hour ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

I figured out what I need ..... a spanner screw driver (like the ones in security screwdriver sets). I will try to find one from local hardware store that will fit. I am starting to think that the firing pin spring is broke or missing altogether. I checked my wife's other gun (Model P Jr.) basically the same gun. With that gun and the hammer pulled all the way back, the firing pin has tension to it when you push it and returns back to position when you release it. Where as the problem gun does not have any tension to it and is just freely moving back and forth within the frame.

Agree, sounds like the spring is broken or missing.  Some people have made a spanner by taking a screwdriver and grinding out a hollow into the blade.  Should you ever need a replacement firing pin, be aware there were at least 3 variations.

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

There are several different size Firing Pins (Strikers), Several different Bushings.  One spring.  Were I to take it apart, I would first take a micrometer to the OEM striker and inspect it for damage.  Next up, there is suppose to be a spring in there to "return" the firing pin to "rest."  On your gun, that isn't happening.  I would also forward a guess, whom ever worked on it for you, skipped or damaged the spring.  I'd bet on skipped (oops) 

CC, The smith that worked on my gun did good work on two other of our guns. But that spring is small, and if in a hurry could have been missed. Although I am still new in CAS, I am coming to the realization real quick, that if I am going to stick with this, I am going to have to learn on how to do basic replacement part work on all my guns. Thanks everyone for their input.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Agree, sounds like the spring is broken or missing.  Some people have made a spanner by taking a screwdriver and grinding out a hollow into the blade.  Should you ever need a replacement firing pin, be aware there were at least 3 variations.

I am going to to take H.K.'s advise and call VTI and talk to them about which ones I need. Regardless of whether it is just a spring missing or damaged, I think I will order the pin, spring and bushing and replace it all. I have had too much trouble with the firing pin assembly on this gun. Other than the cylinder locking up due to this, and the gun not shooting straight, and the gun not shooting fast ..... I really like the gun. Errr....those last two may be on me. LOL.

Archived