SASS Wire Forum

The Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979

Chantry

Link:  https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/sino-vietnamese-war-1979-conflict-forever-changed-asia-174264

Since I didn't want to derail the Afghanistan thread.   Yes, the Chinese military looks good on paper, however how it will perform in combat remains to be seen.   As the above links shows, the Chinese Army didn't do very well against Vietnamese militia and second line troops.

It's hard to pin down details of the border skirmishes between China & India, what I have read suggests that China did not do very well against the Indian Army.

As to Chinese Navy & Air Force, their combat experience is even older and more limited so while they appear to have bright, shiny, impressive looking modern equipment, just how well they will be to use the equipment remains to be seen.

42 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That was 30+ yrs ago.

It's a very different China today, and NOT in a good way!

OLG 

Please provide details

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He you ever watched the news over the last 30 yrs?

OLG 

Yes and I've seen & read news that said the Soviet Union was a military behemoth in the 70's & 80's.  When the Berlin Wall fell and the Warsaw Pact disintegrated it turned out that our intelligence agencies were wrong.  

I saw & read news that said the Iraq had a large, battle hardened military before Desert Storm and that the U.S would suffer heavy casualties during the ground combat. 

So I've seen plenty of news that tells me most reporters aren't remotely qualified to do stories on military technology  or the military capabilities of countries like China, Russia, Iraq or North Korea.

Certainly the Chinese military should not be underestimated, but it shouldn't be overestimated either. 

How good is their training?  How reliable is their equipment?  Is initiative encouraged in junior officers or does the Chinese military follow the general pattern of most Communist militaries where strict obedience to orders and the plan is required with no deviation or initiative allowed?

5 minutes ago, Chantry said:

How good is their training?  How reliable is their equipment?  Is initiative encouraged in junior officers or does the Chinese military follow the general pattern of most Communist militaries where strict obedience to orders and the plan is required with no deviation or initiative allowed?

One characteristic of the Soviet military was that leaders were afraid to train anyone who might replace them.

16 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

One characteristic of the Soviet military was that leaders were afraid to train anyone who might replace them.

Seems like with 1.4 billion happy little faces, the Chinese officers might feel the exact same way.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Military capability means little. Two superpowers have been run out of town by people in mud huts and pickup trucks. 

Yes, I agree, but I would caution that both powers, to a greater or sometimes lesser extent, tried to limit non-combatant casualties.

The Peoples Army leaders do not have the same scruples.

Anyone supporting their "enemy", be it man, woman or child can expect the same treatment as the Uyghurs are currently experiencing. 

Addition: My neighbour from Hong Kong just agreed with me and tells me we don't know the half of it.

The Uyghurs are unarmed and live within territory claimed by China, much like the Jews of Nazi Germany. Afghans however, are heavily armed and control the routes within their borders. 

The Chinese will still have to engage on a world stage and have to manage the politics of that carefully. However brutal they might be, the Muslim world won’t stand by as a superpower aggressor invades and occupies a “brother” country. They’ll have plenty of support from other powers, including the US, still vying for influence. 

Stand by for an even bigger and more complex proxy war of ever-shifting alliances that dwarfs everything we’ve seen to this point. 

Archived