SASS Wire Forum

Side Match Opinions

StirrupTrouble

12 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

As a FCD that uses Full Case loads in my .40 cal. and bigger bore guns , I never shoot speed Pistol !

Shooting against young Pups shooting HANDS guns using loads that go puffff, tink ... has little interest ...

One of my proudest Moments was Placing 6th. at WR in 2016 in the speed rifle pistol caliber event , and doing so using full case loads under my 255 gr. bullets in .45 Colt .  I believe I was the only one using Black in the Top 10 ...

So I would like to see some recognition given to those who shoot Real powder.

I did think it odd that they awarded the WB shooters down to tenth place in all categories, I consider WB to be at best a Side Match. 

I have my flame retardant one piece underwear on so Flame Away ...

Jabez Cowboy 

You seem to be talking about Winter Range in regards to Wild Bunch shooters being recognized to the 10th place position, you do realize that WR is the National Championships of Wild Bunch shooting as well as Cowboy, right? Not a side match.

Funny you want recognition for for folks shooting "real powder", but slight those shooting WB that actually has a real power factor. 

You've made the choice to shoot the guns and loads you're shooting, don't hate on others for their choices. 

Tully

We have a small annual 65 shooters. But using our marketing hats we have as a many categories and additional side match options we can think of. We also will let 1 shooter be a category for the main match.

Awards for side matches 1 thru 3rd. Different colored medallions on a red/white/blue ribbon. Category and place made with a label maker and put on the back. $3 each. And what we don't use we role over for next year.

The WB shoot at WR 2016 had about 100 shooters and about 10 classes and awards ten deep ...  And there were over 900 Shooters for the Cowboy match so yes I consider WB to be at best a Side Match .... The Warm-up match had far more Shooters than WB as well ....

I feel that it took away from the time spent on COWBOY Side matches, especially the Long Range ...

There wasn't even a place to check-out your rifle after traveling 1,500 + Miles one Way ...

Guns shoot different when taken from 3,884 feet above sea level and temperatures of 20 F. down to WR ...with temperatures of 80 F...

Jabez Cowboy 

9 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

The WB shoot at WR 2016 had about 100 shooters and about 10 classes and awards ten deep ...  And there were over 900 Shooters for the Cowboy match so yes I consider WB to be at best a Side Match .... The Warm-up match had far more Shooters than WB as well ....

I feel that it took away from the time spent on COWBOY Side matches, especially the Long Range ...

There wasn't even a place to check-out your rifle after traveling 1,500 + Miles one Way ...

Guns shoot different when taken from 3,884 feet above sea level and temperatures of 20 F. down to WR ...with temperatures of 80 F...

Jabez Cowboy 

I've known WR to always have a place to check out one's firearms...

Past the berm next to stage 12.

Now I didn't go in 2016 cuz I had a broken neck... but I'd be surprised if the warm-up area wasn't there.

Phantom

Well I was there and I asked and I was told NO !

There was No where to try out with my .40-65 , prior to the match. 

Phantom it is good to see you back on the wire , and yes I sent prayers up on your behalf back in 2016 ....

Jabez Cowboy  

On 7/12/2021 at 11:59 AM, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

Ilowa Irregulars Fall Roundup - Sept 24, 25 and 26 in Milan, IL). 

Shotgun Star, Stoked 87/97 - 6 round on a clay pigeon rotating target

Was re-looking for this thread as I am considering trying to come because the side matches look interesting.   But I do have two question based on the above....

1.  So, the Iowa Irregulars hold their shoot in Illionois?

2.   Is the reload for the Shotgun Star "off the clock?"   6 targets with a gun that has a 5 found magazine will require one.   Or, can you have five in the mag, one in the chamber to start?

13 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

They are just over the state line in Milan, Illinois. I have not shot there yet, but heard nothing but good things about the club

On 7/18/2021 at 9:55 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Well I was there and I asked and I was told NO !

There was No where to try out with my .40-65 , prior to the match. 

Phantom it is good to see you back on the wire , and yes I sent prayers up on your behalf back in 2016 ....

Jabez Cowboy  

The rifle caliber would exclude it from being used at the Warm Up area.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

So, the Iowa Irregulars hold their shoot in Illionois?

The club name is actually this......

Illowa Irregulars.

It is a combination of the word Illinois and Iowa.

I have never been to a monthly, but I have been to Fall Round-up several times. It is a great match on a great range put on by great people.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Was re-looking for this thread as I am considering trying to come because the side matches look interesting.   But I do have two question based on the above....

2.   Is the reload for the Shotgun Star "off the clock?"   6 targets with a gun that has a 5 found magazine will require one.   Or, can you have five in the mag, one in the chamber to start?

H.K., the Illowa Irregulars would be happy to have you join us for Fall Round-Up!

Five in the mag, one in the chamber, finger outside the trigger guard until the "beep," shotgun at low ready.  Engage the trip plate to start the star moving (rotation is clockwise) and fire away on the birds.  No reloads, unbroken birds are misses, fastest time wins.

Fall Round-Up side matches (except the 4-stage warm-up match) are included in the entry, and allow unlimited tries as your time, number of competitors - and ammo - permit.  An announcement listing the rules for all our side matches will be posted on our website in the coming days.

Hope to see you in September!

CS

1 hour ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

H.K., the Illowa Irregulars would be happy to have you join us for Fall Round-Up!

Five in the mag, one in the chamber, finger outside the trigger guard until the "beep," shotgun at low ready.  Engage the trip plate to start the star moving (rotation is clockwise) and fire away on the birds.  No reloads, unbroken birds are misses, fastest time wins.

Fall Round-Up side matches (except the 4-stage warm-up match) are included in the entry, and allow unlimited tries as your time, number of competitors - and ammo - permit.  An announcement listing the rules for all our side matches will be posted on our website in the coming days.

Hope to see you in September!

CS

Sounds good to me. If my work schedule permits, this is on my wish list to do.   Is there a link to your website?

The rifle and Caliber is used in Long Range Single Shot, Rifle Caliber events like the Quigley Shoot and the 300 yard event offered ...

As for Long Range Pistol Caliber event, I acquitted myself rather well placing in the top 5% ... Doing so using full case loads of Goex in .45 Colt .

By the way there were about the same number of shooters in this single event as there were in All Classes of WB shooters Combined.

I believe all shooters placing above me were shooting Smokeless Powder ...

Jabez Cowboy  

I’ve done this for long range on top of the regular events.  Have a speed event for each type of long range rifles.  Put a target 10?or 15 yards  let them stoke the lever guns.  Keep it to 6 rounds. Single shots too. Let them blast away.  

On 7/20/2021 at 4:07 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Thank you for asking.  Our host, the Milan Rifle Club is just outside of Milan, IL, very close to the Mississippi.  Membership is about half and half - Illinois and Iowa.  Hence the name - Illowa.

Here are the official (because I wrote them) rules for: 

Shotgun Star – ‘97/’87

Target: shotgun star at approximately 9 yards.

Ammo requirements: 6 rounds loaded, fingers MUST BE outside trigger guard.

Starting position: Standing with shotgun in any safe position.

At the Beep: Shooter will engage plate with one round. Shooter will engage 5 clay targets. Each miss is a 5 second penalty. Time and misses will be recorded.

Chancy

Archived