SASS Wire Forum

New category?

Not an "officially-recognized" SASS category...but:

*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually.

SHB p.10

Just now, Wicked Willie, SASS#9377 said:

OK, thanks.  We (Lake County Pistoleros) used to do that way back when...but too many people couldn't control their muzzle safely whilst reloading...so we went to the two gun "solution."  I still dig reloading a single sixgun.  Sigh.

I don't know of any club that would forbid a shooter from using 1 pistol and reloading.

I don't believe there are any (excepting Gunfighter) mandatory 2 pistol categories.

As long as a shooter understands their choices don't change the game or the people they are scored against - have fun, be safe and you do you.

34 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I don't know of any club that would forbid a shooter from using 1 pistol and reloading.

I don't believe there are any (excepting Gunfighter) mandatory 2 pistol categories.

As long as a shooter understands their choices don't change the game or the people they are scored against - have fun, be safe and you do you.

You can do it Gunfighter too...just make sure you use each hand (DD).

;)

That would certainly make S&Ws more common!

17 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You can do it Gunfighter too...just make sure you use each hand (DD).

;)

True enough.

I just have too much fun blazing away with a pistol in each hand to even consider using a single pistol.

Tho when I sometimes out run my brain and eyesight and dump 5 in the dirt on a stage - maybe I'd be better off only using 1 pistol.  :blink:

3 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I was at a local club that had a stage that called for one revolver. I believe that years ago this was common. Long before my time.

It wasn't just common, it was the way it was.

I see zero reason to bring it back...

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yes, 25 years ago we used one pistol. Two pistols were just getting a foothold and few had the second holster. And, we only had a few categories.

These are the stages from the 1st Ambush held in Alabama, back in 1997.

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog?post=1

These were stages from 'the good old days' with pistols reloaded on the clock, some stages requiring only one pistol, others with no rifle or no shotgun, and not a single 10-10-4 amongst them. You shot all eight stages with a total of 60 pistol, 50 rifle, and 36 shotgun rounds. Read the stages from the 1997 Ambush at the Caverns and see for yourself!

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

That would certainly make S&Ws more common!

When I started in 2003 full pistol (and multiple rifle round) reloads were not uncommon.  I knew a few that had a S&W in their cart just for it.

But back then most every match had at least one stage with a single-round rifle or pistol reload.  People practiced 'em. 

And starting the stage with an unloaded rifle wasn't unheard of either.

17 hours ago, Wicked Willie, SASS#9377 said:

OK, thanks.  We (Lake County Pistoleros) used to do that way back when...but too many people couldn't control their muzzle safely whilst reloading...so we went to the two gun "solution."  I still dig reloading a single sixgun.  Sigh.

If this is the same Wicked Willie that I remember....Has your stage music changed? The last time I saw you was at The Last Stand and the stage music was Riding the Storm Out by REO Speedwagon. I think it was the last stage and you were clean up until that point.

Anyway, if it's you...welcome back pard. Even if it's not you, welcome back pard.

On 7/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Agreed.   I started shooting CAS in 1994... I didn't even BUY a 2nd Pistol until I made plans to go to EOT in 97.   I'm not sure which was OUR first Nationals that required 2 handguns...but it was after that....   we got pretty damn good at reloads on the clock....

We allow special categories for people who don't have enough guns or such an injury as they can safely fire the shotgun.

Archived