SASS Wire Forum

The Return of Remington?

Might be old news, but I stumbled across a couple of news articles that I thought were interesting:

https://wibx950.com/5-big-things-we-now-know-about-remington-re-opening-in-ilion/

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/remington-making-guns-again/

8 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

United Mine Workers is the employee union? :wacko:

Evidently.

Hopefully, they might realize that jobs with reasonable wages and benefits is better than absurdly high wages and ridiculous benefits but no jobs.

There have been so, so many examples over the years of corporations and even cities driven to bankruptcy by unrealistic demands by unions.

The quality has to be there, or it won't sell. 

We are all pulling for Remington to start up production, and to create high quality sporting firearms.  :FlagAm:

My pen is staying close to my check-book, in anticipation. Yes...I still write checks. I have not gone totally over to plastic...yet. 

Come on Remington. You can do it. 

Made RIGHT...

Made HERE...:FlagAm:

Question is....will you?

Time will tell.

W.K. 

I am glad they are up and running and I am glad those folks got their jobs back. 

I put off buying a new Remington rifle for years and feared I might not have that opportunity again. Looks like I just might be able to get a new model 700 after all. :)

OH boy, they haven't even opened and the Union is setting up bargaining agreements. Watch. They'll get going, the Union will see them bringing in real revenue and then, let's strike. Our workers need more salary and benefits. The death knell for many fine American manufacturing companies.

4 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

OH boy, they haven't even opened and the Union is setting up bargaining agreements. Watch. They'll get going, the Union will see them bringing in real revenue and then, let's strike. Our workers need more salary and benefits. The death knell for many fine American manufacturing companies.

The UMWA was the union representing the workers before Remington’s bankruptcy and they are the union representing them now. 

I am NOT a proponent of unions, but the union is not why Remington went under. Their p*** poor management and lack of QA was the reason for the demise of the company. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

but the union is not why Remington went under. Their p*** poor management and lack of QA was the reason for the demise of the company. 

I never said the union caused the company to go under. I'm just stating what I think is the logical sequence of events when unions are involved.

Remington had at least one gun factory in a gun friendly state.  (Not counting the ammunition plant that was sold to a different buyer.)  Now they have moved all the gun making assets to NY and under the control of the United Mine Workers.  Not a good start to try and reorganize a gun making venture.  They should have moved everything south a few hundred miles.  You notice when Biden talks about jobs he always says "good UNION jobs."  He and has staff have had to correct themselves a few times when they merely mentioned jobs and immediately rephrased their statement to preface the word jobs with union.  Apparently if you do not work for a union the dems think you do not deserve a job.

Well, Remington’s pistols were being made in Alabama and the R51 just plain sucked! The RM380 was a good reliable pistol, though. 

24 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

So you are saying union labor equals quality?

No, I am not. I was referring to the guns made in a gun friendly state are not necessarily any better that guns made in NY. 

That R51 was a piece of garbage. Mine went back 3 times before they replaced it…with a used refurbished gun. Bastages!

Does not matter where a bad design is made, it is a bad design.   NY is a hostile environment for a gun manufacturer.  Bad decision right off the bat to stay there.

Collective bargaining units are a complicated topic. Having worked and led in both union and merit shops, negotiated CBAs, been grieved too many times to remember (but never lost one), I can say with authority that the biggest difference between union and merit teams is...

Company Leadership. 

Both shops can be effective or disastrous. It depends on leadership. 

Archived