SASS Wire Forum

Anyone accidentally spin their pistol at a match?

Wade Butcher

Also had a new shooter years ago at the warmup match before EOT do it on the first stage with the second revolver while I was the RO. Yep, his first match was EOT. This may be against the grain here, but I let the shooter finish, handed off the timer, walked him to the unloading table and had a visit. I did not DQ him and let his time stand on the stage. Never had another problem with him.

Question is.....was it his fault or ours. IMHO, it was ours. We knew he was new and no one including me took the time to visit with him before the first stage. Personally, I felt responsible. This was 19 years ago and he's still shooting. Please don't run off a new shooter due to our lack of engagement.

From all the stories above, it isn't all that uncommon.  I recall nearly 20 years ago at a local match, a brand new shooter showed up.  He was all decked out, nice guns and leather, looked like  Tombstone down to the frock coat.  He was not on my posse, but I'm told he spun the gun(s) into the holsters on the first stage and was sternly spoken to.  I do not know how it was handled, but I know we never saw him again.  Too bad.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding about the sport. When I mention I do CAS almost everyone thinks I do fast draw or trick shooting. I draw as fast as I can and the trick is to actually hit the target.

15 hours ago, Cholla said:

There is a great deal of misunderstanding about the sport. When I mention I do CAS almost everyone thinks I do fast draw or trick shooting. I draw as fast as I can and the trick is to actually hit the target.

Right???

Why do folks think we are re-inactors?

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Along with a pink camo gun case???:rolleyes:

UGH!

It was a camo case with pink trim.

You're killin me.:D

5 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Because we dress up like rodeo clowns to shoot.

No sir!!!! I've never dressed like a rodeo clown....

Unless I was playing one.

Besides that....do you REALLY think some of the other garb other shooting sports wear is any different???

20210720_151525.jpg

The question was why do people think we are re-enactors.  The answer is because we dress up in "ancient" costumes.  The guys in the photo are wearing what most people think is contemporary garb, not a costume.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The question was why do people think we are re-enactors.  The answer is because we dress up in "ancient" costumes.  The guys in the photo are wearing what most people think is contemporary garb, not a costume.

Well...I stole the thread again!!!

We need to start our own and argue there!!!:D

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

No sir!!!! I've never dressed like a rodeo clown....

Unless I was playing one.

Besides that....do you REALLY think some of the other garb other shooting sports wear is any different???

20210720_151525.jpg

I'm with you on this one. These guys look like they're having a hard time deciding if they want to be on a bicycle racing team, or through hikers on the AT. 

When I've mentioned SASS to people, by far most assume it's  fast draw.  A couple have thought it's probably more like Civil war reenacting.  At modern matches most shooters are aware of the cowboy action shooters. Also at the other action matches about one third to maybe one half of the shooters wear the jerseys with logos. Most just wear t shirts.

Archived