SASS Wire Forum

Anyone accidentally spin their pistol at a match?

Wade Butcher

OK, this question may sound silly, but I'm serious.

I was reading reviews and thoughts on another forum about non-SASS guns, and I stumbled upon a thread where an ex-police officer told his story about gun-spinning. As he tells it, he used to practice spinning his service revolver for fun at home. One day, he and his superior officer were called to a scene where a suspect was supposedly hiding out in an old building. Both officers entered with guns drawn. After clearing the building, the superior officer warned the rookie to NEVER spin his gun while clearing a building again. As it turns out, the young officer had spun his revolver at home so many times that it just became an unconscious habit.

Which brings me to my paranoia. Gun spinning is fun. But I wonder if I should stop. I'd hate to be at a match and accidentally spin my pistol back into its holster (breaking the 170 degree wall).

So... Anyone accidentally spin at a match?

W.B.

I had to DQ someone for exactly that.  It's been quite a while though and I don't remember who or where.  But like the officer in the story above, he'd been practicing spinning at home and did it when he holstered without each realizing it.

I suggest you stop.  You do in a match what you practice.  It's only a matter of time.

It ain't only a 170 violation but you have basically SWEPT many members of your posse..... your x-posse.

I would prefer not to posse with someone that does that or has done it before.  That is a dangerous

habit.

I handle my pistols for fast draw practice and thumbing speeds (GF style) but I purposely do not

practice the spin.

..........Widder

Several years ago a  new shooter "automatically" spun his revolver as he reholstered. 

Is it fun to watch?  And to do,? Maybe but it is never really a safe practice.

We should always PRACTICE safe gun handling.  We do what we practice.

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I had to DQ someone for exactly that.  It's been quite a while though and I don't remember who or where.  But like the officer in the story above, he'd been practicing spinning at home and did it when he holstered without each realizing it.

I suggest you stop.  You do in a match what you practice.  It's only a matter of time.

Soda Pop Kid did that at Diamond Dick's Cowboy town, maybe 13-14 years ago.   Ring any bells?

48 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Soda Pop Kid did that at Diamond Dick's Cowboy town, maybe 13-14 years ago.   Ring any bells?

That might very well be it, thanks.  Your memory is far better than mine!

Years ago, we had a new shooter show up. He shot a stage and then proceeded to spin the pistol back into his holster. Yeah, we corrected him pretty quick with a DQ, and he never showed up again..

We had a new shooter that did it at a match in Youngstown. He unloaded his first pistol and spun it. Everyone was on his case like flies on poop. Not sure if he ever came back but the match director really tore into him. 

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We had a new shooter that did it at a match in Youngstown. He unloaded his first pistol and spun it. Everyone was on his case like flies on poop. Not sure if he ever came back but the match director really tore into him. 

Yup..that guy at North Jackson...

Ive done spinning demonstrations at shooters roundups, parades,  and events like that.   That is something totally different.  Sass matches are a serious affair.  Real bullets.  Real consequences.    If you can't differentiate between the two enough that you worry, then I'd stop spinning. 

37 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Yup..that guy at North Jackson...

You were there?? It was so long ago I forgot!:lol: 

That was a nice little shoot. Flat Iron Fred was the MD. 

I dunno if this is true or not. But evidently in the very early days of SASS there was no 170? Like I said, I'm not sure. But we had a shooter who had been instrumental in establishing SASS in the North Texas area back when. He then went away from it for a while. When he decided to return after several years he shot his first stage and when he holstered spun them in. He was talked to by another shooter who had shot with him before and it was made clear that was no longer allowed. I won't embarrass him by saying his name, but he is still very involved with SASS and WBAS. 

About a year before I found SASS I had been watching the Rifleman Series for the umpteenth time. (See where we're going here?)
So after seeing a large loop Henry online I decided I better get one.
As soon as I did I just knew I would have to learn how to spin that thing.
Well it isn't really that easy and I poked myself enough times in the arm pit to realize it sure is fun watching Chuck Connors (6' 4") and that I don't really need to do ANY spinning.

I'd rather keep my posse than create an x-posse. (VERY funny, Widder).

Waimea

PS The Henry was eventually worked on by our very own Widder and Slater and is now (temporarily) my main match rifle. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I dunno if this is true or not. But evidently in the very early days of SASS there was no 170? Like I said, I'm not sure. But we had a shooter who had been instrumental in establishing SASS in the North Texas area back when. He then went away from it for a while. When he decided to return after several years he shot his first stage and when he holstered spun them in. He was talked to by another shooter who had shot with him before and it was made clear that was no longer allowed. I won't embarrass him by saying his name, but he is still very involved with SASS and WBAS. 

You just have too many stories not to meet up sometime.
CAC 2022?

I haven't, but I've seen it happen.  State match - main match was over and we were shooting some "fun" side match stuff while the scores were being done.

Cowboy didn't even know he'd done it.  When approached he said, "What?!"

Stop now.

We had a guy do it at our local match about 20 years ago. New shooter on his first stage. As he re-holstered he spun the revolver. Looked cool but… DQ on his first stage of his first match. If I recall correctly he got mad and left the match.

7 hours ago, Wade Butcher said:

Agreed! But if it happened to a cop on duty, it could happen to anyone, I suppose. (Hence, my severe paranoia on the subject.)

W.B.

You don't know a lot of cops, do you?

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You were there?? It was so long ago I forgot!:lol: 

That was a nice little shoot. Flat Iron Fred was the MD. 

Yeah Rye..you have put up with me for 16 years already!!! :blink:

Your paranoia is justified.  Aside from the DQs, An accident like that would likely cause insurance cancelation and shut a club or range down for good, not to mention maybe seriously or fatally injuring a friend.  If you think it might be a habit -- break it now.  

Doc and Jackalope, I remember that. At the time (I could be wrong) you were having an extra optional stage to shoot. It was just rifle or just revolvers. I think it was a man on man elimination. I don't remember if he shot it really well and in the excitement spun his gun into the holster or what. I remember doing something like this and being a duelist I would be better off shooting with both hands to try to keep up. But since I'd never shot single actions that way I'd mess up and was better off just sticking with duelist. Fun times. Does that ring a bell?

17 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Doc and Jackalope, I remember that. At the time (I could be wrong) you were having an extra optional stage to shoot. It was just rifle or just revolvers. I think it was a man on man elimination. I don't remember if he shot it really well and in the excitement spun his gun into the holster or what. I remember doing something like this and being a duelist I would be better off shooting with both hands to try to keep up. But since I'd never shot single actions that way I'd mess up and was better off just sticking with duelist. Fun times. Does that ring a bell?

I do remember Sackett or Diamond Dick running the man on man matches.  I just don't recall if it was during that or not when it happened.  I've had a TBI between then and now and my memory is pretty bad.

How can a shooter (new or experienced) be so absent-minded that he would spin a revolver back into his holster without realizing what he's doing and muzzle direction?

11 hours ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Yeah Rye..you have put up with me for 16 years already!!! :blink:

Ahh, you're okay except for that Steelers thing!!:P

Leave the Hollywood stuff at home. It doesn't belong on the firing line.

I can do a "Brisco" draw, but I would never even consider doing it at the range and I only do it with a prop gun.

19 hours ago, Jackalope said:

YEP!!!

I did it at Taylors open house at the cowboy fast draw tent after beating the record... got a scolding but that was it...

I haven't even practiced spinning in a few years, last time I was practicing, the pistol flew out of my hand, bounced off the bed and drove the hammer into the wall... the other half was non too happy...

Archived