SASS Wire Forum

35mm SLR cameras

18 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I'm shooting a Coolpix, and love it for the most part. Wish it had a manual mode, and in bright light I HATE the display, can't see it sometimes. I looked at something similar when I bought it that also had a viewfinder, but the viewfinder was crap, so ended up with the Nikon. Toyed with a Nikon or Pentax SLR but the price scared me off and and they looked WAAAAAY too complicated. I'm a KISS kinda guy, one reason I love the K-1000. All the automatic stuff is all well and good, but sometimes want manual control. Also wish the Coolpix had a cable release for the shutter for shooting on a tripod.

JHC

100% on the mark.  I also wish I could view the pictures I have already taken without it being put on ready to take a picture mode.

The film Pentax lenses and bodies are still in demand. Their lenses are still compatible with all Pentax digital bodies. Specialty lenses (long and fast) go for big bucks. Google the Pentax Forum which has a bunch of very nice folks and a wonderful want ad section. I have to keep myself away from the want ads as have six lenses for my K-70 and just added a seventh. Will sell a duplicate focal length to remain at six. Sold a bunch of film Pentax's and their lenses for fair prices. BTW - The premier Pentax film repairmen is still in business at fair prices.  Good film cameras sell at wild prices on eBay. Sold my last film body, a mint 1962 Yashica Mat LM for $275. Prior to that sold an RB67 with a bunch of extras in a rabid bidding war. Film and processing is widely available via the Internet. I just don't feel like waiting anymore, though have the hankering for a Voightlander 120 folder, which was my first "real" camera. Still have a hand-held light meter to use with it.

I quit Nikon's when they started messing around with lens mounts. Sold everything and switched to Pentax. Only issue is the newer digitals are more computer than camera, with a very steep learning curve. My K-70 has a 152 page instruction manual with many exotic features only a nerd will love.

My D850 is the last digital I will buy and I have zero interest in Mirrorless... Nikon or anybody else.
My large investment in Nikon lenses all run on my D850.

As a wedding photog, the Pentax 6x7 flash sync was problematic for fill-flash use.
I loved the 6x7 (8x10) negatives, but the flash sync was a show stopper in the wedding business.
I did opt for the 6x7 leaf shutter lens, but it was sorta clumsy.. went back to the C330.
It was the difference between getting the shot on 6x6 or losing the shot with 6x7.
Both the C330 and the 6x7 had the flat film plane, and avoided the reverse curl inherent with the 500C magazines.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

I bought a new Hasselblad 500C from Brooks Camera in San Francisco.

I remember Brooks!  :)

I bought a bunch of filters from 'em ~ was REAL happy when they started selling Monsieur Coquin's "Organic Glass" squares and holders!   :lol:

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

My D850 is the last digital I will buy and I have zero interest in Mirrorless... Nikon or anybody else.
My large investment in Nikon lenses all run on my D850.

As a wedding photog, the Pentax 6x7 flash sync was problematic for fill-flash use.
I loved the 6x7 (8x10) negatives, but the flash sync was a show stopper in the wedding business.
I did opt for the 6x7 leaf shutter lens, but it was sorta clumsy.. went back to the C330.
It was the difference between getting the shot on 6x6 or losing the shot with 6x7.
Both the C330 and the 6x7 had the flat film plane, and avoided the reverse curl inherent with the 500C magazines.

What kind of problems did you have? Never had an issue with mine. I'm not a pro, but I have shot some weddings and anniversary parties for friends and relatives. Occasionally used the 6x7 with a strobe an L bracket. Of course it's stupid big and heavy (usually used a 35) but it always worked if I was willing to lug it.

JHC

The 6x7 focal plane shutter does not sync flash above 1/40th second.
This makes outdoor fill flash near impossible as even 100 speed color neg film is 1/100 at f/16 in bright daylight.
Or 1/400 at f/8.

The Hasselblad 500C system allowed locking the shutter and aperture controls.
When you change speed, you changed aperture as well.
This was ideal for fill flash, but did not outweigh the many disadvantages of the 500C.

18 minutes ago, bgavin said:

The 6x7 focal plane shutter does not sync flash above 1/40th second.
This makes outdoor fill flash near impossible as even 100 speed color neg film is 1/100 at f/16 in bright daylight.
Or 1/400 at f/8.

The Hasselblad 500C system allowed locking the shutter and aperture controls.
When you change speed, you changed aperture as well.
This was ideal for fill flash, but did not outweigh the many disadvantages of the 500C.

I had a 500C with a prism finder, it was a great workhorse!

Archived