SASS Wire Forum

SADDLE RING

Raven Law Dog

I recently traded for a Uberti short 44-40 rifle, 20" oct barrel, I like the look of saddle ring on carbine the difference of 1" and round barrel! I was thinking of adding a saddle ring, just for cosmetics Whatchoo Cowpokes think? Dumb?

I have a 66 Saddle ring carbine and also a 73 Comanchero, half octagon and half round barrel not a saddle ring. It's my main rifle but I love that 66 too!

Not dumb if that's what you like. I removed mine from the carbine. Darn rifle wouldn't lay flat when I'd stage it. I was worried about putting it down in a hurry and it buncing or landing wrong. Idk guess I worry about weird stuff.

50 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Not dumb if that's what you like. I removed mine from the carbine. Darn rifle wouldn't lay flat when I'd stage it. I was worried about putting it down in a hurry and it bouncing or landing wrong. Idk guess I worry about weird stuff.

A long gun staged with the saddle ring stud down is considered to be "lying flat".
Using the ring as a "kickstand" to prop the rifle up is forbidden.

Personally if I had one I'd take it off.  I don't like loose things jiggling or vibrating when I carry or shoot.

Take off the ring and put the u- shaped holder back on. No holes, no rattle.

Thanks guys for the thoughts! I can see that you speed shooters might have issues with it. I shoot CC and not really concerned with speed as much as shooting clean, which I'm happy to say, I'm improving a lot. I love the look and hearing the plates ring. Most of all I love the comradery! I ordered saddle ring set from Cimarron and am hoping I can install myself. Any warnings to keep me from messing up I'd value. Thanks again

Archived