SASS Wire Forum

Virgin Galactic Launch

Subdeacon Joe

I saw a little bit of it mostly the gliding back to earth. Pretty cool!

250k for a seat! Pocket change!:lol:

What got me was a CNN aerospace commentator comparing it to the Space Shuttle! WHAT!!!! I worked on the Apollo and Shuttle programs and there is no similarity. Thats like comparing a Ford Model T to a Formula racecar, all they have in common is wheels.

This is just a billionaires ego trip. They are not astronauts by any stretch of the imagination.

28 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

What got me was a CNN aerospace commentator comparing it to the Space Shuttle! WHAT!!!! I worked on the Apollo and Shuttle programs and there is no similarity. Thats like comparing a Ford Model T to a Formula racecar, all they have in common is wheels.

This is just a billionaires ego trip. They are not astronauts by and stretch of the imagination.

I sat in a race car once…I’m a Racer!:lol:

Yeah, I heard that but about “four people are now Astronauts”. Gimme a break…

I just can't get excited about it.  It will no doubt lead to bigger things in the future but this was a suborbital flight.  Up, a few seconds of weightlessness, and back.  After they have gone several orbits I might get interested.

Congratulations to Sir Richard on the successful completion of (his) the flight of SpaceShip 1.  Would I go if I could afford a seat? NO!  Nor would I fly on Blue Origin (Jeff Bezos') New Shepard.  Orbit for me or nothing! (Probably couldn't pass the physical.)  Otherwise, I'd go in a heartbeat...if someone else was paying the fare!  When SpaceX gets the prices down to something realistic, space tourism will really take off (NO pun intended).  Probably be required to have some training.  Including development lead time, maybe for my 80th birthday...next year!  Anybody want to buy me a seat on board? B)

Ad Astra! (To the stars!)

I've had one of the two covid shots, it's the Astra-whatsit vaccine, with absolutely no side effects; nil, nada, naught.

That makes me a half-astra-naught. .......... do that count ? (seems I'd qualify under the above criteria)   :huh:   

6 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Someone should tell them it’s already been done. 

Ham_the_chimp__cropped_.jpg?mw=600

If I was one of Branson's rich friends, I would have rented a small army of chimps and gorillas to welcome him when he got back to Earth....with no humans in sight.

Archived