SASS Wire Forum

Stats

Subdeacon Joe

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

It gets really amazing when you run those numbers against a population of roughly 335 million people.

You want amazing, both Pew Research and Gallup recently released surveys that suggest about 43% of all households in the US have at least one firearm (and of those, about 45% don't keep them in a safe).  Using US Census data that means that roughly 132,000,000 Americans have ready access to at least one firearm.  
Stay with me now.
Every year we have about 120,000 deaths and injuries by means of firearm.  That's all causes, criminal, suicide, negligent , accident, and justifiable.  (OK, even one non-justified death or injury by any means, gun, knife, club, car, is unacceptable but inevitable) 
So, 120,000/132,000,000 X 100 = .091% of all gun owners use firearms to kill or injure someone, including themselves.  That's making the false assumption that there are no repeats, that each is a separate event by a different person.

You have likely seen Feinstein and Rep. Thompson I(D, CA 5th)trying to use scare tactics, "THERE ARE 15,000,000 ASSAULT WEAPONS ON THE STREETS!!!!!"  OK, and?  Rifles of all types account for about 500 deaths a year (haven't found the number of injuries).  Let's make an assumption that the average owner, to just pull a number out of my hat, has two "assault weapons."  That gives us about 7,500,000 people who own those evil things.  So, 500/7,500,555 X 100 = call it 0.007% of the owners of scary black rifles misuse them.  Same false assumption as above.  I wrote emails to my Senators and member of the House thanking them for pointing out just how safe the owners of "Assault Weapons" are.  I also posted it onto their social media pages.

Archived