SASS Wire Forum

Sub Deacon Joe...a bit late.

Navajo, I believe, has only been in written form since the 1970's...

It is a hard language to learn, difficult to speak, and best listen closely to understand.

This is why our Navajo Code Talkers where so successfull. They were not the first used, but understand they were the best.

Anyway...listening to everyday conversations, it isn't that 'pretty'.

But singing...it has majic.

This one is for you, our friend.

https://youtu.be/eR0NCNaRWf4

Just a story...

I gave a fellow server one phrase to use...as we had several Navajo guests.

It was " do you want more coffee?"

Now, if you changed the lilt of one word...it asked "do you want more babies?"

I guess she changed the lilt...as the table was laughing...and she and the grandfather were there with the reddest faces I ever saw!!!:rolleyes:

Close enough. 

Thanks for posting this video.   I  had seen a video on Facebook,  a small Rodeo in New Mexico,  Anthem sung in Navajo,  kids from many about 5 into early teens standing respectfully,  boys with their hats off,  hands on hearts.  I couldn't find it on YouTube. 

16 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Close enough. 

Thanks for posting this video.   I  had seen a video on Facebook,  a small Rodeo in New Mexico,  Anthem sung in Navajo,  kids from many about 5 into early teens standing respectfully,  boys with their hats off,  hands on hearts.  I couldn't find it on YouTube. 

That is the one my hubby showed me. I looked on Youtube for it also.

Both beautifull renditions.

Don't it make you proud? It does me.

There's that woman singing. Lovely voice. I can't understand one single word that's coming out of her mouth but that doesn't matter. I know what she's singing, because there is just no not recognizing that tune.

And back up the hill there's people walking up and down the sidewalk not paying a bit of attention

And then here comes This dork on the left side of the screen, and he walks up and makes a right turn and goes across the top of the screen, not paying a bit of attention to what's going on. Not even standing still, let alone standing at attention.

Yeah I tell you, it just makes me proud to see my fellow Americans.

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Don't it make you proud? It does me.

There's that woman singing. Lovely voice. I can't understand one single word that's coming out of her mouth but that doesn't matter. I know what she's singing, because there is just no not recognizing that tune.

And back up the hill there's people walking up and down the sidewalk not paying a bit of attention

And then here comes This dork on the left side of the screen, and he walks up and makes a right turn and goes across the top of the screen, not paying a bit of attention to what's going on. Not even standing still, let alone standing at attention.

Yeah I tell you, it just makes me proud to see my fellow Americans.

I wasn't seeing any of that.

I was focused on the Anthem.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Navajo, I believe, has only been in written form since the 1970's...

It is a hard language to learn, difficult to speak, and best listen closely to understand.

This is why our Navajo Code Talkers where so successfull. They were not the first used, but understand they were the best.

Anyway...listening to everyday conversations, it isn't that 'pretty'.

But singing...it has majic.

This one is for you, our friend.

https://youtu.be/eR0NCNaRWf4

Navajo like many Native American languages is spoken differently if you are a man or a woman. A native speaker can easily identify a non-native speaker because they usually speak in the wrong gender. That uniqueness has has always fascinated me.

Archived