SASS Wire Forum

Tomatoes, potatoes, grapes, and onions

How are they stored best?  Refrigerated, room temperature, in a sunny window or in a shady spot?  Do I leave them nude or wrap them in something?

I won't tell you how I've been doing it, but I've had a couple of people tell me that I'm doing it wrong.....and they both told me something different.

:ph34r:  Tomatoes & potatoes in cupboard, room temp.  I refrigerate grapes and green onions.  Large red or gold onions at room temp in hanging wire basket.

During this time of year, room temp is often 80 to 84 deg/F, depending on outside.  Schedule says 117 tomorrow.

I leave tomatoes in a bowl on the counter. 
Potatoes in the bag in a cupboard. 
Grapes in the fridge. 
Onions in the veggie drawer, but my daughter tells me they should be at room temp in a hanging basket. 
I don’t like smelling onions all the time so they o in the veggie drawer. 

I put everything you mentioned except potatoes in the refrigerator! I like my tomatoes cold!

Tomatoes upside down(belly button down) and onions in a basket on the counter, away from sunlight. I was told by my grandmother that if upright they 'still think they are on the vine':wub:

Potatoes in a cuboard, but not in the bag, in a basket, they seem to last longer, and it is cooler, airier.

grapes to snack on a day or two on the counter, they seem to be sweeter. The rest in fridge untill then.

Green onions in fridge, but wrap in foil...it works, they will stay crisp from end to end.

Oh....and FROZEN grapes are a real treat. They are the sweetest things I've ever had!

If you plan to eat the tomatoes pretty soon, leave them out on a counter, or in a cupboard. If you have too many to eat very quickly, put them in the refrigerator (we call it the "icebox"). I usually put them in a baggie, if I am fixing to put them in the icebox. 

Potatoes ("taters"), we leave out on the counter, or in a bowl, or in the cupboard, in a cool place...but they don't last indefinitely.  

Onions can be left out on the counter, in a bowl, or in the cupboard...but not indefinitely. If I chop up an onion, I put them in a baggie, and put them in the icebox. 

Grapes go in the icebox. 

That's the way we do it around these parts. 

You'll, like as not, have differing opinions. 

9 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

If you plan to eat the tomatoes pretty soon, leave them out on a counter, or in a cupboard. If you have too many to eat very quickly, put them in the refrigerator (we call it the "icebox"). I usually put them in a baggie, if I am fixing to put them in the icebox. 

Potatoes ("taters"), we leave out on the counter, or in a bowl, or in the cupboard, in a cool place...but they don't last indefinitely.  

Onions can be left out on the counter, in a bowl, or in the cupboard...but not indefinitely. If I chop up an onion, I put them in a baggie, and put them in the icebox. 

Grapes go in the icebox. 

That's the way we do it around these parts. 

You'll, like as not, have differing opinions. 

The Waxa humidity always ran through the veggies quickly! We ate most for every meal!!!

Course, the old house was not the best inviornment for any living thing!!!

Papaw and Memaws old Victorian never got a stitch of paint from the '40's on!!!

It was condemned for 20 yrs before daddy had to go physically remove the old man for the dozers to come in... sigh.

Now there's a beautiful brick home....corner of Sanysca and Marvin. (below SAGU)

Any way, Sorry I went off topic....but she's the one who taught me to eat frozen grapes!

55 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The Waxa humidity always ran through the veggies quickly! We ate most for every meal!!!

Course, the old house was not the best inviornment for any living thing!!!

Papaw and Memaws old Victorian never got a stitch of paint from the '40's on!!!

It was condemned for 20 yrs before daddy had to go physically remove the old man for the dozers to come in... sigh.

Now there's a beautiful brick home....corner of Sanysca and Marvin. (below SAGU)

Any way, Sorry I went off topic....but she's the one who taught me to eat frozen grapes!

My hometown is Nacogdoches...deep in the piney woods (Nacogdoches is touted as the oldest town in Texas). It is lots more humid over there, than here...but we are lots more humid, here, than west of here, in central, and west Texas. It's been unusually wet and cool here this year, so far.

I am sure you remember the black gumbo soil we have. Dry, it has cracks that are so deep that if you put your ear on the crack, you can hear Chinese.

When wet, it turns to a sticky goo, and if you walk across a pasture, when the black soil is wet, you get taller and taller, as it sticks to your boots.

But it does hold moisture, so cotton, and corn, and sunflowers, grow well. 

You know all this...I am preaching to the choir.  

Yer Ole Saddle Pal.

W.K. 

p.s. I am dressed up in my cowboy duds today. We don't have a cow pasture shoot, I just needed to try some things on that I had altered to fit my skinnier frame. I have no way to send you a shot of me, on here, since I only have an antique flip phone, and no smart-alek phone...but the chaps sure smell good....but they are hot, this time of year...indoors anyway.  

7 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My hometown is Nacogdoches...deep in the piney woods (Nacogdoches is touted as the oldest town in Texas). It is lots more humid over there, than here...but we are lots more humid, here, than west of here, in central, and west Texas. It's been unusually wet and cool here this year, so far.

I am sure you remember the black gumbo soil we have. Dry, it has cracks that are so deep that if you put your ear on the crack, you can hear Chinese.

When wet, it turns to a sticky goo, and if you walk across a pasture, when the black soil is wet, you get taller and taller, as it sticks to your boots.

But it does hold moisture, so cotton, and corn, and sunflowers, grow well. 

You know all this...I am preaching to the choir.  

Yer Ole Saddle Pal.

W.K. 

p.s. I am dressed up in my cowboy duds today. We don't have a cow pasture shoot, I just needed to try some things on that I had altered to fit my skinnier frame. I have no way to send you a shot of me, on here, since I only have an antique flip phone, and no smart-alek phone...but the chaps sure smell good....but they are hot, this time of year...indoors anyway.  

I remember the soil well...the fireflys in early June...

It is a beautiful place!

Wow!

Memmories.

But....we better give the thread back...

Now on potatoes...russet seem to keep longer!:rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I remember the soil well...the fireflys in early June...

It is a beautiful place!

Wow!

Memmories.

But....we better give the thread back...

Now on potatoes...russet seem to keep longer!:rolleyes:

I haven't seen a firefly in over forty years.  Used to see lots of them up in Boise and my aunt's place in Macedonia Iowa.

12 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I haven't seen a firefly in over forty years.  Used to see lots of them up in Boise and my aunt's place in Macedonia Iowa.

Saw tons in the corn fields in Indianna at EOT...brought back warm fuzzy feelings!

i let my wife store them , it saves me the thought process , i wont eat tomatoes , i like my potatoes and onions , i love the grapes when they are fresh , 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Tomatoes upside down(belly button down) and onions in a basket on the counter, away from sunlight. I was told by my grandmother that if upright they 'still think they are on the vine':wub:

Potatoes in a cuboard, but not in the bag, in a basket, they seem to last longer, and it is cooler, airier.

grapes to snack on a day or two on the counter, they seem to be sweeter. The rest in fridge untill then.

Green onions in fridge, but wrap in foil...it works, they will stay crisp from end to end.

Oh....and FROZEN grapes are a real treat. They are the sweetest things I've ever had!

Added to a stirred martini, maybe?

On 7/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t like smelling onions all the time

They don't smell until you cut them.

7 hours ago, MizPete said:

They don't smell until you cut them.

I smell them. I have an acute sense of smell. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I smell them. I have an acute sense of smell. 

Me too!!

Potatoes in the cellar  onion and and grapes wrapped in aluminum foil in the fridge. To tomatoes are canned

Archived