SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of generators...

My 2 HF gennies are quieter than most of the Honda's we have camped near...and most definately quieter than the onboards of some others!!!

We bought 2 Preditor 2000's and the coupler box for under $1000  three years ago. 

Not as quiet as the Honda WHISPERERS , but all total, less than just ONE Honda.

So don't be snarkin' on my gennies!!!!

(No one has been snarky to us personally...just a generic comment on another post about HF gennies)

Guy at work used a generac 1800 daily for 10 hours a day for a year before it ran out. And knowing him the scheduled maintenance didn't get done. Those cheap genies do the job

I just saw a pretty decent video comparing the Predator and the Wen brands of camper sized "quiet" generators. Pretty informative as I'm looking to buy one as well. I don't have first person experience however...

They test at about 57 to 60 decibels. With the generator sitting just outside the camper, how noisy are these things?

12 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The truth is generators get louder with runtime.  The Honda and HF are equally quiet to the ear when new.  The Honda wins on the spec sheet.  I use the HF generator now, it'll get stolen before it wears out.

After 3 years of use...one is a bit louder...we need to give it a good maintainence.

We only use one, unless we are running the AC.

Usually don't need to run AC...but do need the ceiling fan...so one is usually running.

Onan Generators are the most popular factory installed generator in RVs but they are far noisier than other brands. While you likely will not hear them inside the RV, your neighbors will. Especially those on the same side as the exhaust where most of the noise is generated. You can make then quieter by extending the exhaust pipe up to the roof line.

If you are inside your RV and have the AC on you wouldn't hear the loudest genset on the market because the noise the AC unit makes will drown it out. However if you or your neighbors want to sit outside noise quickly becomes a factor.

As I said, I have a Generac iQ3500 that is very very quiet. What I like about it is that is comes with a 30 amp locking plug built into the unit. To get that in the Honda 2200s you have to buy a special Companion model. 

Only drawback is it is a little too heavy for me to lift into the truck. I can handle the weight getting it out but have to ask for assistance to get it back into the truck. When I was younger this wouldn't have been a problem but no lifting 70 plus pounds chest high is painful.

14 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I just saw a pretty decent video comparing the Predator and the Wen brands of camper sized "quiet" generators. Pretty informative as I'm looking to buy one as well. I don't have first person experience however...

They test at about 57 to 60 decibels. With the generator sitting just outside the camper, how noisy are these things?

If the window is closed, barely audible...

We usually put a small childs table (made like our fold out, heavy duty tables) over the top of the two to keep rain off...muffles a bit too.

We have had several comment about how quiet they are.

I love them, because full of gas, I can still handle them.

The best part...keep them under warranty...if they give up you take it back in and walk out with a new one.

Archived