SASS Wire Forum

Generator for Travel Trailer

Barry Sloe

So, Trizzlee and I have a travel trailer on order.  It is a Nash and is generator ready.  I'd like to get a little input as to what your experience has been, good and/or bad, with various brands of generators.  I am planning on a propane generator with an output of at least 3000 watts.

As luck would have it we purchased a dual fuel generator about 6 months ago.  But, it only puts out about 1800 watts on propane.

Let me know your good, bad, and ugly dealings with generators.  Then I will filter through the responses and flip a coin on what to do.

Thanks,

Barry Sloe

39 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

So...you want an onboard gennie???

It has a compartment for it and the propane/wiring are right there in the frame. 

The Onan would be nice, but it's about $3500 plus shipping. 

21 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

It has a compartment for it and the propane/wiring are right there in the frame. 

The Onan would be nice, but it's about $3500 plus shipping. 

Aha...BUT, if you can afford to swing it, it is the name I hear most;)

Mine is a Onan 3,500 on Gas , Will run Lights and Air at the same time.  Wouldn't go smaller, but less noise would be nice . 

Jabez Cowboy

The on board on my Class C is an Onan RV 4000.

It will run my AC, LED lights, the frig, running on propane (Needs 12volt to run) and the 12 volt TV/DVD player.

I find it noisy though, when Red Storm, Rooster Corrigan and I are watching cowboy movies on the range, the night before a match.

If we don't need the AC, I will run the Honda 2000 a few feet away from the motor home.

038.JPG

Depending on what you are planning to run, 1800 watts isn't going to power much. That's lights and a microwave. Generally a 4000 watt is used for RVs with a/c units. Keep in mind motors (fan motor and compressor) momentarily draw five to nine times the running amps and the generator needs to be able to handle that surge without tripping breakers/blowing fuses.

I have a Champion 3400 watt generator with a remote start.  It's a gas model but they also make a duel fuel model.  Mine will run the AC unit, which was a requirement since we live in the Southeast.  It's an inverter style generator so it's quiet and puts out pure sine wave electricity, which is desirable for electronics like computers and TV's.   Being able to start and stop the generator with a remote from inside the camper is kind of nice too.  The only drawback to the Champion 3400 is that it weighs close to 100 lbs.  It's got good handles on top for loading and is easily wheeled around once on the ground.  It's just that 3 feet from the ground to the top of the tailgate that's the hard part.

I've had my Champion 3400 generator about 4 years and we just used it to dry camp for 6 nights at EOT.  

ONAN.   I've been  "off the grid" for 25+ years now. Been through a bunch of generators. Obviously use stationary diesel and solar to power the site but one thing I have learned is buy the absolute best quality generators you can and Always get one bigger than you think you need.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I called my dealer this morning and added an Onan generator to the build sheet. 

If you can get a gasoline powered generator…I would go that route. You will have to carry an awful lot of extra tanks for propane power

35 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

If you can get a gasoline powered generator…I would go that route. You will have to carry an awful lot of extra tanks for propane power

This. Normally the generator pulls from the main fuel tank. Those that we have had only allow the generator to draw the tank halfway down so as to not leave you stranded.

A friend of mine went off grid elk hunting with us a couple years ago. His 5th wheel RV had a propane Genny. We were there for 2 weeks. He ended up renting a 100 gal tank to keep fuel for his genny.  Gas is a much better way to go if your going to run generator much. I had an onboard Onan on one 5th wheeler. Current RV doesn’t have onboard genny.  Use Champion generator with remote start. Wife isn’t going do pull start. That is the best route to go in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Not an option from the factory as there is no built-in gas tank.  I'll deal with oversized LP tanks, but have the convenience of start/stop and monitoring built-in. 

Archived