SASS Wire Forum

Gonna SDQ 'em all

Sixgun Seamus

Being president of our Cowboy puts me on the board of our parent Sportsman's club. Sitting here, taking my turn to run the desk at the club's weekly trap shoot right now, I'm watching everyone carry their shotguns over their shoulder. I'm gonna have to SDQ them all. Drives me nuts.

Are they doubles with actions open?  I suppose it would still be unnerving if they were walking straight at you and you can't see the actions.

The way CAS and Trap shooters carry their guns is very different.   When I first started CAS, I was surprised that we carried long guns muzzle up.   Prior to getting into this game, the only organized shooting I'd done was trap, and there, the rule was muzzle down, with of course, actions open.   For folks shooting over and unders, and the occasional side by side, the muzzles would point straight down.   But for folks using a pump or autoloader, it was usually more of a 45 degree angle or so.   And, relatively speaking, muzzle control was much less "controlled."

9 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Are they doubles with actions open?  I suppose it would still be unnerving if they were walking straight at you and you can't see the actions.

I'm sure they are empty and safe. My mind automatically reverts to our Cowboy rules.

The family and I were just up in Cody and watched a group of re-enactors performing their skit next to the Irma Hotel that was owned by Buffalo Bill.

Desert Scorpion watched a couple minutes and stood up stating that if another one of the pretend cowboys swept her - she was DQing them and THEN smacking them in their head.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Being president of our Cowboy puts me on the board of our parent Sportsman's club. Sitting here, taking my turn to run the desk at the club's weekly trap shoot right now, I'm watching everyone carry their shotguns over their shoulder. I'm gonna have to SDQ them all. Drives me nuts.

Do it!!! DQ'em!!!!

I agree that stuff drives me nuts too..

Our CAS club is located on trap/skeet/sporting clays range where we get regular passersby from the sporting clays shooters. I never comment on how the gun is carried unless it’s other than muzzle up or down. I also sneak a look at the action as I greet them. Only once or twice have I needed to ask for someone to open it. 

12 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I'm sure they are empty and safe. My mind automatically reverts to our Cowboy rules.

My mind automatically reverts to the 5 rules of safe firearm handling:

• Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
  • Always point your gun in a safe direction.
  • Never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot.
  • Be sure of your target and what's beyond.

The ATA gun safety rules are simple:

10.  All guns must have the action opened and contain no live or empty shells at any time, except while the shooter is on the firing line. A break open gun’s action may be closed when it is in a gun rack but it shall not contain a live or empty shell. Repeat offender(s) of these Official Rules will be given a 30 day suspension upon a second violation of these Rules; a third violation of these Rules will result in a 90 day suspension; and further violations will be reviewed by the Executive Committee for further disciplinary action.

Being a hunter with shotguns starting at age 11, the LOADED guns were always carried at Port Arms, safety on and finger off the trigger … pumps, autos and SxS’s

My favorites...

Guns at "shoulder arms" (doubles sometimes broken open, sometimes not):   Barrels from almost straight up, to pointing at the ground at a 45 deg. angle behind the shooter - the latter being an open double.  Sometimes, in the event of an open double, there isn't a hand on the gun, it's just perched on the shooters shoulder like a parrot.

The gun rack: Butt on the ground.  Shooter standing with arms crossed, SG leaning against him.  Again, no hand on the gun.

The walking stick: Muzzle on boot, shooters arm at full length with hand over butt, SG leaning away from shooter.

It was worse when we had the Protector shooters.  Muzzles everywhere.

Archived