SASS Wire Forum

Today's strange question

Alpo

This is for left-handed people. If you wear a wrist watch, do you wear it on your right wrist? If so, why?

I wear mine on my left wrist. This goes back to my first watch, which because of the location of the winding stem, I could wind without taking it off.

But if you wear your watch on your right wrist, the winding stem points back towards your elbow. You can't reach it. You have to take the watch off.

Yet it is practically a given that if you are left handed you will wear it on your right wrist. I don't get it.

45 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Winding stem?  Watches went electric decades ago.

Tell that to my vintage Omega Seamaster, or my Speedmaster. Heck, even my Citizen Eco-Drive chronometer and cheap Timex have a stem for setting the time! A good watch is timeless, and has a stem for winding or otherwise.

And yes, I’m a lefty who wears mine on my left wrist.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Winding stem?  Watches went electric decades ago.

So? Car windows went electric decades ago, but if you want the signal someone to lower their car window you make motions like you're cranking the window down. Telephones went flat decades ago, but if you're trying to signal someone that they have a phone call, you put your thumb to your ear and your little finger to your mouth like a telephone earpiece that is not been used in 30 years.

And that little thing that you pull out to set the time on a watch is the winding stem.

So there!

Ever try to explain "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" to a kid who has only ever had/seen a digital watch???

I had a Mickey Mouse wristwatch, when I was in the Navy. It constantly reminded me of how "Mickey Mouse" it all was.

I dated a Wave, once, while overseas, at a shore-station, and I gave that watch to her, before I shipped out. 

I got one postcard from her, a good long while later. She had only written three words: "Mickey still ticks".

Sadly, she was referring to the watch, and not any affection for me. 

If it was raining soup, I'd be out there with a fork.

Right wrist.  It feels like it gets in my way when on my dominant wrist.  When it's on the 'dumb' side, I don't even notice it's even there that often.

I just reach over the top of the face of the watch and pull the stem out when I need to adjust the time or date (I wear a Citizen EcoDrive these days).  Occasionally, I just take it off and make any adjustments necessary.

Back when I used a stem winding watch, I wound it every day after my morning shower before I put it back on.

3 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Ever try to explain "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" to a kid who has only ever had/seen a digital watch???

I had a Mickey Mouse wristwatch, when I was in the Navy. It constantly reminded me of how "Mickey Mouse" it all was.

I dated a Wave, once, while overseas, at a shore-station, and I gave that watch to her, before I shipped out. 

I got one postcard from her, a good long while later. She had only written three words: "Mickey still ticks".

Sadly, she was referring to the watch, and not any affection for me. 

mickey has ticks.jpg

Never had a wristwatch last more than three days before even an expensive one became unrepairable!!!  

I’m left handed and wear a pocket style watch in a holder, hanging from my belt on the left side.

I remember wearing the watch on my right arm and reaching over the top to wind it!

my daughter wore hers on the right but as noted above it had a battery , no winding involved , i dont think she has worn one since she got her phone - no need anymore save for bling , ive not worn one in decades as i dont wear bling at all , 

Michael Landon wore his on the Left wrist.

Stone Cold Steve Austin wears his watch on the left wrist also.

He holds the microphone in his right hand.

..........Widder

Retired, don't need no stinken watch. 

49 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't know if you meant it to be funny....but it is.:lol:

A bit of a play on words, but also, I didn't know how else to put it!

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There are left handed wristwatches, scissors, …

They make light beer, too.  :blink:

It doesn't mean it's fitting to have.

In the case of specialized left handed this and that, southpaws are used to adapting in a world set up backwards.  Then, there's the question of availability and added cost.

And while we're on the subject of wrist watches, when I was growing up men and boys wore them on the outside of their wrist, and girls wore them on the inside. I wore mine on the outside, because I was not a girl. My junior high school was made of brick, including the interior walls. After breaking two crystals going down the hallway for class changes, I started wearing mine on the inside of my wrist. I still get scratches on the outside of the watch band, but I have not broken a crystal in 50 years or more.

I remember a comedy skit - most likely Three stooges. At a cocktail party Guy A goes up to Guy B and asks him what time it is. Guy B rolls his hand over to look at the watch on the back of his wrist, and pours his drink on his belly. :blink:Guy A laughs and walks off. Guy B decides to try this,  so walks up to Guy C and asks the time. Guy C rolls his hand over to look at his watch on the inside of his wrist, and pours his drink on Guy B. :D:P

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

And while we're on the subject of wrist watches, when I was growing up men and boys wore them on the outside of their wrist, and girls wore them on the inside. I wore mine on the outside, because I was not a girl. My junior high school was made of brick, including the interior walls. After breaking two crystals going down the hallway for class changes, I started wearing mine on the inside of my wrist. I still get scratches on the outside of the watch band, but I have not broken a crystal in 50 years or more.

I remember a comedy skit - most likely Three stooges. At a cocktail party Guy A goes up to Guy B and asks him what time it is. Guy B rolls his hand over to look at the watch on the back of his wrist, and pours his drink on his belly. :blink:Guy A laughs and walks off. Guy B decides to try this,  so walks up to Guy C and asks the time. Guy C rolls his hand over to look at his watch on the inside of his wrist, and pours his drink on Guy B. :D:P

I think that was a Benny Hill sketch.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

They make light beer, too.  :blink:

It doesn't mean it's fitting to have.

In the case of specialized left handed this and that, southpaws are used to adapting in a world set up backwards.  Then, there's the question of availability and added cost.

Did you ever try to use normal scissors with your left hand?

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

So long as the handles are not shaped for a right handed person, I do ok. It seems plenty are made that way though. I found a pair that work well, and try to keep them hidden, with limited success 

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yep.

Right before my first grade teacher caught me and made me put them in my right hand. 

She was trying to make me right handed- until my mother caught me practicing writing with my right hand at home.  The next day, my Dad carried me to school for the only time in my life.  He went and talked to the principal, then they both talked to the teacher in the hall outside the classroom.  I couldn't hear what was said but I could see the conversation through the window in the door and there was a LOT of rather emphatic pointing straight down by my father, arm crossing- with the occasional nod- by the principal and lots of nodding by the teacher.

After that day, she didn't care if I wrote or worked scissors with my toes.

“Normal” scissors have the top blade on the right, making them right handed

Right-handed scissors are designed so that the natural movement of the hand pushes the blades together, which results in a good clean cut. That is of course, the natural movement of the right hand. The natural movement of your left hand has the opposite effect – it forces the blades apart. If you’ve spent much time using right-handed scissors, then you probably automatically compensate for this by squeezing the blades together as you cut – this can result in a lot of tension in your left hand.

One year back in elementary school, for some strange damn reason, we had left-handed scissors. And using left-handed scissors with your right hand is just as complicated as using right handed with your left hand.

23 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My Mom’s favorite expression. I don’t think I ‘d ever heard it from anyone else before. 

Seamus

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Quit yer whinning.

Citizen-Men’s-Eco-Drive-Sport-Watch.png

Whine, whine, WHINING only has one N. Whine, whine.

Archived