SASS Wire Forum

knockdown shotgun target design

Johnny Knight

Hi all,

Looking to set up a practice stage out on the ranch.  I'm hoping someone might have a design they are willing to share for a basic re-settable knockdown shotgun target.  While not overly complicated, I figure no reason to re-invent the wheel.   I've got a pretty full metal working shop, so welding and fabrication are options for putting it together.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Here's how I have mine set up.  I have a steel post mounted horizontally.  I drill holes through the post.  I run eye bolts through the post and tighten them with a nut and lock washer.  I drill two holes in the top of the square plates then hang the plates from the eye bolts.  When hit, they swing back then automatically reset.

IMG_0783[1].JPG

PS, this steel post is from an old swing set I had laying around.  The steel is pretty thin, but it's lasted me three years of shooting at least once a week.  When I get a chance, I'm going to re do it out of a piece of galvanized 1 1/2 inch pipe I have.

Thanks for the links.  Assassin sent some pictures over also.  Much appreciated.  Still finalizing the design, will be based in part on the steel I've already got in the shop.  Meanwhile, put together some pistol and rifle targets.  Each are hinged at the top so they can swing back to absorb a bit of impact, while deflecting the shots down.  Sam Black helped both with putting them together, as well as testing them out yesterday.  Now I just need to get the shotgun targets together, then start on an actual building to have at least one 'real' stage.

Range start 7-10-21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the targets welded up and painted.  Thanks for the suggestions everyone, just ended up designing one based on the drops I found at the local steel yard.  Now, I just need to take the time to practice more.  If folks find themselves near Bellville, TX, let me know and we can get some practice in.  Afterwards, there is a local place named Trumpburger that makes a tasty hamburger.

Regards,

Johnny

Shotgun targets.jpg

22 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

Finally got the targets welded up and painted.  Thanks for the suggestions everyone, just ended up designing one based on the drops I found at the local steel yard.  Now, I just need to take the time to practice more.  If folks find themselves near Bellville, TX, let me know and we can get some practice in.  Afterwards, there is a local place named Trumpburger that makes a tasty hamburger.

Regards,

Johnny

Shotgun targets.jpg

Good job Johnny.

How close is Bellville to Red River County? ha.  Just had to throw that in for Singin Sue, know she will be reading it. :D

Archived