SASS Wire Forum

How Hot Will It Be?

Subdeacon Joe

"Thursday saw temperatures above 100 across Northern California, and this weekend will be in the upper 100s. Monday is expected to taper back down to 101, followed by mid-90s into Wednesday."

That per KCRA in Sacramento. 

The Weather guesser sez we'll have 114° on Sunday.   http://www.emoticonr.com/design/yahoo/whew.gif

Sadly, we typically beat the forecast by a few degrees.

2 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

But it's a dry heat.;)

Believe me, it makes a difference. 

Notice they never call hot, humid weather “a wet heat”? 

I remember visiting California in 1981 and it was 98 degrees. I couldn't believe it! 98 degrees here in Northeast Ohio is almost unbearable since it almost always is 80% humidity at that temp. 98 degrees and 25-30% humidity is fairly comfortable.

I've never experienced over 100 except here once or twice maybe in 74 years!

48 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Calling for around 100* here today. :o

Very humid,  and have rain in the forecast for Sat & Sun.

OLG 

That's called weather you can wear.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Believe me, it makes a difference. 

Notice they never call hot, humid weather “a wet heat”? 

Oh, I know that quite well.  116 in Phoenix feels like upper 90's in Alabama- but you can breathe in Phoenix and the 1st breath you take when you go outside doesn't hurt like it does in Alabama.

The perceived similarities in temp is probably because Upper 90's in Alabama gives you a heat index as high, or higher, as Phoenix's 116.

The NWS lists the current humidity locally as 90%.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Smiths&state=AL&site=BMX&lat=32.5398&lon=-85.0872

Good thing that it's only 75 outside- for the moment.

The heat index around 5pm yesterday was about 107.  Good thing that it barely reached 90 yesterday, ain't it?

46 minutes ago, bgavin said:

We are predicted to get 113 degrees for our outdoor lodge picnic on Saturday.

Water guns may be in order. :D

only 82  here we are close to bay 

the heat did make for great site seeing at clubs pool

am so old I remember when I had to go pole dancing club to see the same 

I just got talked to driving from my town next to SF bay we hit 78 yesterday to inland where it is 97 before noon

just to bring a friends jet skis so he can ride his bike there .

so glad my Trucks AC works great 

I remember a few days in Dallas, back in the 1960's that we called "Hundred/Hundred" days.

One hundred degrees, one hundred percent humidity.  One word summation:  "Misery."

By the way - it is possible to have humidity in excess of 100%; it's called "supersaturation."

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I remember a few days in Dallas, back in the 1960's that we called "Hundred/Hundred" days.

One hundred degrees, one hundred percent humidity.  One word summation:  "Misery."

By the way - it is possible to have humidity in excess of 100%; it's called "supersaturation."

You call it 'supersaturation', we call it '3 in the afternoon right after a heat effect thunderstorm'. 

You know, those 'isolated afternoon thunderstorms, possibly severe' that every Southern weatherman tags onto the daily forecast from May or June 'til at least mid September (he does that so you can't blame him if you're caught out in one- because everybody knows that it's going to rain somewhere every day between 3 and 6).  And 'isolated' really means isolated.  I've seen it raining on the back porch of a single wide trailer but not the front and on the south bound lane of a 2 lane road but not the north bound one- but only between 2 hills.

That's why I chuckle every time I see or hear someone complaining about 40% humidity.  Around here, that would mean we're in a drought and it's about to rain.

I guess it's also why I find the whole 'swamp cooler' concept so foreign.  I've never considered trying to add humidity to the air on purpose- much less as an attempt to cool it.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I guess it's also why I find the whole 'swamp cooler' concept so foreign.  I've never considered trying to add humidity to the air on purpose- much less as an attempt to cool it.

In a dry climate they work well.

I'm using one right now; at 1730, it's 82° in the house, and 112° on my shady, screened in front porch.

I do have a pretty efficient central air system, but here in Central California electricity's so danged expensive that it's hard to justify the expense of cooling a two-story house for just li'l ol' me.

Oh... and our lovely power company - PG&E - has us on a "Flex Alert" (NO use of electricity for non-essential purposes until 2100 tonight), AND has just announced that they're pushing for an 18% rate increase.  :(

We're' predicted to hit 111° here in Elk Grove today. The problem is our AC has to work its ass off to keep the house 20° cooler, which means we hit 91° in the house!!  Both East Coast Filly and I have conditions where heat really gets to us!!

Really honked off right now. Last night's forecast was for upper 90's and high humidity today so I skipped the match. It's 83 and gorgeous right now!

6 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Really honked off right now. Last night's forecast was for upper 90's and high humidity today so I skipped the match. It's 83 and gorgeous right now!

It's only the crack of noon.;)

The heat of the day usually starts around 2 and runs to 5 or 6 but you still ain't gonna reach 90 if it goes the same way there as it does here.

Don't know about that far inland but upper 90's as a high would have meant a low the night before of the upper 70's or even 80 (better known as a HVAC man's dream weather 'cause if it's over 80 at midnight inside the house and Momma can't sleep, Daddy's gonna get that AC fixed pronto) around here.

Archived