SASS Wire Forum

MEC Universal Charge Bar Repair

Yul Lose

After many years the stud that the bar return spring hooks to pulled out of the aluminum charge bar body on my MEC 9000. I had this charge bar on a 850 Grabber also so it’s been in use for a long time. I considered going the J B Weld route but then it wouldn’t be removable for when the charge bar needs cleaning and I’d have to remove the plate for the roller at the other end and then you’d have an eventual galling of the screw hole that holds it in.

So after careful study here’s what I came up with. I clamped the charge bar to my drill press fence and placed a piece of scrap wood under the bar. I drilled a 3/16” hole through the existing mounting hole and on through the charge bar. Next I took a 10 24 x 1 1/2” button head Allen screw and chucked it up in my drill and used the grinder to work the button head down to where it would fit down into the web on the charge bar. If you don’t do this the head will protrude out far enough to keep the charge bar from completely cycling.

I installed the Allen screw with two nylock nuts. Don’t over tighten the one against the charge bar or it could interfere with the adjustment screw mechanism. The second nut is used to hold the spring on, I tried using it without the nut but the spring worked it’s way off a couple of times.

C885057B-66EA-48C9-A1FA-7AD1AB4DFA98.jpeg

B9F3589E-10BD-4E6A-AB53-8C53B5802E64.jpeg

E590F258-1085-4A95-AB3A-04BF4C5C8342.jpeg

7253E14F-C6F4-4156-BF5E-1C4FBD473DD6.jpeg

8B43FD09-5CE3-4C4F-84C9-6B630D6019E4.jpeg

32 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Good job Yul!

I love mine and now, that they're no longer made, it's good to know how to fix this problem.

Yep, Ballistic Products told me that about a month ago when I tried to order a replacement for this one. I’ve got a hunch that there are a bunch of them out there that will need this fix eventually.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Out of curiosity, could you have repaired the hole with a Heli-coil, or was the hole blown out?

It was pretty much ovaled out and the wall that the hole is tapped in is not very thick.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It was pretty much ovaled out and the wall that the hole is tapped in is not very thick.

Kinda what I was thinking, but I had to ask.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Kinda what I was thinking, but I had to ask.

One problem that I was having was the powder and shot dropping was getting very eradic, just ask anyone that posseed with me at Escondido last Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

One problem that I was having was the powder and shot dropping was getting very eradic, just ask anyone that posseed with me at Escondido last Saturday. 

Is that what I was hearing up here on the beach last weekend?  :D

Archived