SASS Wire Forum

Component Shopping

I go to Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabella's numerous times per week.  Basically you have to be standing in the area when the shelves are stocked as they will be emptied fairly quickly.  Most of the time I do not find anything at either place.  Today Cabellas had some inventory.  I'll let you decide if these prices are sustainable and at what point the cost will impact your shooting.

IMG_1911.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

I posted this on another thread here I think. Ordered 5 pounds of Winchester Wst and 5 of Schuetzen FF. Total with haz mat and everything included came to about $32 per pound WST and $21 per pound for Schuetzen. Hopefully will be a little cheaper when things settle down but for right now, I  bought it. I wasn't desperate, have plenty of Clays to use but WST is my preferred 45acp powder so I went ahead.

We’re ok for both smokeless and BP, and powder isn’t a significant part of the cost anyway.

We have a decent amount of bullets and can get more. Bullets used to be the biggest factor, but not anymore. Primers have become the biggest factor by far.

At a recent State match 5,000 Federal SPP went for $1,000. I saw the same amount go for $606 on GB this week. Outrageously high, but falling.

I'm good on everything for the rest of the year and a good start of next year with the exception of lead but a pal is gifting me some old wheel weights. I'll wait until the last minute or prices come down whichever comes first.

hoping prices come down , im buying some shot but otherwise im good this year , next might be a different story , we shall see , folks are saying they are seeing shelves restocked but the prices are still high so far 

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Guess I don’t get the price difference between large rifle and pistol primers . 
gouging or not their usually the same . 

The large rifle are CCI "Bench Rest" Primers.. figure that may be the difference

Price gouging is ridiculously wild almost everywhere right now.  Last week at LOWES, a single 10' DF #2 2x4 was $19.  

A 18' DF #2 4x4 was $54  !!!

A single 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" OSB was $89 !!

Yesterday I bought some 4"x3" x5/16" rectangular mild steel tubing from a large regional supplier -- 10' was $161 -- that's $2.24/pound.  WOW!

It isn't just inflation.  It is outright gouging, and the only way to control it is to suppress the urge to buy right now.  Same goes for ammo and components.  When they can't get those ridiculous prices, reality will set in. 

With an insatiable market in waiting and no end in sight,  a good business decision would be invest in expanded production.  But no such expansion investments have occurred. 

I deal in timber/lumber.   A local mill is claiming the CA fires as the reason for high pricing, while they and their branch mills all sit with 31 MILLION logs stockpiled in decks at their facilities.   They paid practically nothing (essentially just haul cost) for those beetle-killed logs, but they have added no work shifts to get them to market, forcing prices upward.  

Many manufacturers seem to understandably be trying to increase unit profits, rather than volume. 

The ammunition folks give a lot of excuses about 20 or 30% elevated production costs, but their reported higher cost numbers just don't support their retailers' doubled, tripped or higher pricing increases (with a few exceptions like lead cost).   Only when their units are sitting on shelves unsold will prices come down and supply resume normalcy.  

You all are looking at this in the wrong lite.  6 months ago, there was nothing but dust bunnies on the shelves.  Now, there is product on the shelves with a higher than normal price.  The prices will never come back down to pre-covid pricing (especially with uncle joe and aunt kamala in charge), but prices will come down some eventually as more and more product hits the shelves.

2 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

The large rifle are CCI "Bench Rest" Primers.. figure that may be the difference

Didn’t notice they were br . Even then a extra $40 a thousand. 
But it’s good to see everyone getting inventory again. Hopefully the next step is prices coming down 

I would like to see primers at $75 a 1000  instead of  NO primers 

only $7,50 for days shooten  is not that bad , this being said by a guy who 2 years ago passed in 10,000 primers for $400 

I have primers for next 3 years  they should be back by then 

God I wish people would get off this price gouger crap.  Primers, powder and loaded ammo ain't ever gonna be what they were pre-pandemic.  Every time someone is trying to sell something and it is at a higher price than someone else thinks is appropriate does not mean they are gouging.

26 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

God I wish people would get off this price gouger crap.  Primers, powder and loaded ammo ain't ever gonna be what they were pre-pandemic.  Every time someone is trying to sell something and it is at a higher price than someone else thinks is appropriate does not mean they are gouging.

I don't think we know what dealers are being charged wholesale. Gouging per se is relative.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why should the pandemic have changed ammo or component prices?  Were the companies forced to curtail production or shipping?  I note that the pandemic is not among the excuses advanced by the companies.  

Everything since the pandemic has gone up in price...look at lumber, ridiculous.   I realize that prices will go up, but not what some retailers are charging, ammo and primer manufactures said to expect prices to up 15 to 25%, not the 100% increase that the GOUGERS are charging.  I saw that some Cabelas stores where charging $45/1000 primers not $80 for 1000.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.

44 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Why should the pandemic have changed ammo or component prices?  Were the companies forced to curtail production or shipping?  I note that the pandemic is not among the excuses advanced by the companies.  

With firearms and ammunition mostly it’s demand . But the government did put allot of regulations on manufactures which hindered production. 
Plus people are hoarding just like with tp 

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

i have the same thought - just get back to producing , if you have increased labor by this "government" induced strike fine but dont gouge us for some imagined reason , 

I understand the shortages are employee related.
My pool supply has a chronic shortage of liquid chlorine, because of a people shortage in the supply and delivery chains.
As long as unemployment pays better than a working wage, there will be a people shortage.

Just a thought from my soapbox.  Since all the Major outdoor shops such as BassPro, Cabela's, Dick's , Sportsman Warehouse, Etc. are now owned by one Investment group ( monopoly?), they can control pricing and distribution of products for the best margin of profit, (gouging?).  No manufacture of primers sells direct so that means we have no choice.  Lead prices are reasonable since most of our products are from local, small manufactures who are actual users of their product and provide a reasonable product at a reasonable price.  Even powder and brass prices are reasonable given that raw material is difficult to source. 

When gas prices go up $1.00, this becomes a national concern, it affects commerce, etc.  There are laws against extreme price hikes.  

When 100K cowboys reload and pay 3-5 times the price for a product, no one cares. Pay up or shut up I guess.

Just a view from my saddle.

Archived