SASS Wire Forum

SRM primers in place of SP primers?

Mustang Gregg

I've only done it when called for (like .357 Super Mag and .256 Mag).

I have a guy telling me it's all fine.

But pressure issues aside, I reckon there could be a problem with light hammer springs not setting them off.

What are your results?

MG

I have some Winchester Small Rifle Primers that I have substituted for Small Pistol Primers on light cowboy loads.   They have to be seated firmly and I've upped the hammer spring tension on the pistols and rifles a bit, not a lot.  It took a couple of tries to get the combination right.  They have worked fine, so far.  I am using them for local matches.

I have used both REM and CCI SRP in my ‘73 and my Ruger single six. No problems with either. My hammer springs are not very light but not factory either. Indentation on the cups look as deep as Federal SPPM. 

Having reloaded for cas shooters for 18 years (commercially) there have been times in the past that primers where hard to get.

Reading and talking with manufacturer representatives, Small Magnum Pistol primers are exactly the same as Small Rifle Primers.

Just in different packaging.

Small Magnum Rifle primers are not the same as any small pistol primers. (more ignition pressure)

--------

Large pistol and large rifle primers are not interchangeable.

Cup depth length is different.

Archived