SASS Wire Forum

Ok to be here?

Wyo Joe

Ok since my last post, I been shooting the hell outta my cowboy guns and even more dry firing, bought two leather rigs, one cross draw (on the wire) and one Ted Blocker double strong, installed a flat no bite trigger on my 73 and gave it a thorough cleaning and lube while apart, and made a gun cart out of my kids’ old radio flyer wagon. Add a shotgun belt, some boots, clothes, and hats to the mix, and I’ve basically been obsessing about SASS all month. 

shot terribly in my first match, but managed one clean mid-30’s stage with some advice. Can’t wait to shoot another match next weekend 

2494E16B-5B6B-488D-BA7C-E19037CF5109.jpeg

46A3A16F-F21B-46F3-886B-E0E8F5C5CFE0.jpeg

CD2042BD-BF4B-496E-B40B-060714D22BC0.jpeg

E6C7B4A4-26DB-49EE-A4EE-0CEE87B600CE.jpeg

C448E628-CC3D-4401-AE24-0342E110F8B4.jpeg

03EEF564-76BC-489F-B341-5FD894D02038.jpeg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, Wyo Joe said:

I’m headed to the Orygun Cowboys match on July 24! Hopefully get there early enough to shoot and chat a little and if not just watch some of the competitors and hang out. Thanks all!

hopefully I can put a few (hundred) more rounds through my 45 Colt while there as well. Interested in getting my hands on some of the lighter cowboy load 45 to see if I may want to use that in CAS. I know lots of folks use the light 38spl, I just cannot stand that round! Anybody else feel that way?

ultimately I’m looking to shoot and have fun anyway, so I reckon it doesn’t ultimately matter

I've shot the .45 Colt round since the early 1970's (when I became legal to buy handguns) and while I've shot other calibers I use that round for CAS, both in my Rugers (previously ) and my (now) Colts, plus my rifles.  In my Rugers I found I could load a 250 LRNFP ahead of 4.5 grains of Trail boss for a measured 600 f/s and very accurate groups.  In my Colts I had to switch to 6.7 grains of Unique pushing a 250 gr LRNFP sized to .454 diameter at 730 f/s.  Moral of the story - measure your pistol cylinder throats and let that tell you what size bullets to use.  I run 250 gr bullets because I'll be damned if I'll file my sights; Colts are regulated for a 250 gr bullet and frankly I love the way they shoot! 

I'm not fast, because I don't practice transitions.  I can cycle a trigger with the best of them, but the real speed in this game is mastering transitions (accuracy matters too).  I grew up on the lore of the Colt 45,  'nuff said.

34 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... one day, I hope to get a mid 30s, clean stage ....... :blush:

I was proud of that! It was a stand and deliver which helped. Overall, I was terrible, especially first 4 stages as I got used to timing a borrowed 66 rifle. Only guy I did better than left after the first stage due to gun malfunctions, if that tells ya anything. 

hoping all the dry fire practice with snap caps in my 73 will allow me to at least be proficient. Forgot to mute a conference call this week and about 30 people heard me cycle thru ten rounds, whoops!

9 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... next time you're in one of them meetings try blowing over the wine in your coffee mug so that everyone will think you are drinking a hot beverage ;)

Im a terrible actor. Just put whiskey in my coffee instead so I don’t have to pretend. 

Looks like your doing a pretty good job of disposing of your disposable income! Lol. Have fun, be safe. Things will start clicking better pretty quick. Get some dummy shells and practice on your shotgun. That's the time killer. I say that as a guy who sucks after twenty years of this game. 

1 minute ago, Michigan Slim said:

Looks like your doing a pretty good job of disposing of your disposable income! Lol. Have fun, be safe. Things will start clicking better pretty quick. Get some dummy shells and practice on your shotgun. That's the time killer. I say that as a guy who sucks after twenty years of this game. 

yessir, first thing I did was get snap caps for all firearms for practice in the house. Practices a bit too much on the shotgun this week, wrist hurts like an SOB but no pain no gain 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I couldn’t help myself… saw all these fricken a baby stroller gun carts so I had to go looking to buy one…. Then I saw that they wanted like 4-600 bucks. Uh, no pard. 

so I found a free jogging stroller on the side of the road, dropped a $20 set of ATV gun mounts, bolted on my ammo can, and your boy now has a $20 2 gun cart. You betcha this SOB will become a 4 gun cart as soon as I can afford it too!

37AA9F22-94C5-4C64-B989-D039BC1D66C8.jpeg

35AE047B-1AC1-4562-9917-61000E12BF18.jpeg

9EF2C21C-B7B4-48D5-BE56-43A44ACC7DC0.jpeg

Archived